Transition from NAUI to PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crystal_waters

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am currently a NAUI DM and was thinking of making the transition to PADI as my goal would be to make it to Instructor level. Was just wondering how anyone who made the same transition to PADI found it. Also perhaps what was involved to make the transition to PADI if you a NAUI DM. Are there lots of extra things you need to learn at this level?

Thanks for any replies

crystal_waters:
I am currently a NAUI DM and was thinking of making the transition to PADI as my goal would be to make it to Instructor level.

Why don't you think you can make it through NAUI?

thats not the reason I would be doing the switch. Its just very difficult for me to find a NAUI shop in my region where I will be able to do a NAUI Instructors course. Most shops here are PADI. The NAUI shops that are in my region do not teach to instructor levell. so I was just weighing the options I have if I intended to switch to PADI.

Diving is something I am passionate about and wanting to teach it to people would be what I feel I would really love doing. The agency I don't think should have much impact on my love for diving. Sorry if my initial question seem to suggest I will not get through the NAUI course.

Their approaches are very different. Perhaps you should figure out which one suits your personal style best and, if necessary, travel to have the best match for you. Those are also far from the only choices.

As for your original question, the transition should be a snap should you decide to go that route.

Don`t know what is involved with NAUI DM courses, so I can`t tell you the differences (although I`d think the theory side is practically identical) but I believe you`d have to take PADI`s DM course in full. As far as I understand, you "drop a level" when you cross-over to PADI. I was an SSI Instructor before crossing to the Dark Side and was therefore exempt from the AI portion of the IDC (although the IDC center actually let me take the AI portion for free, but that`s off the point) but still had to take the OWSI portion before the IE.

Don`t know what is involved with NAUI DM courses, so I can`t tell you the differences (although I`d think the theory side is practically identical) but I believe you`d have to take PADI`s DM course in full. As far as I understand, you "drop a level" when you cross-over to PADI. I was an SSI Instructor before crossing to the Dark Side and was therefore exempt from the AI portion of the IDC (although the IDC center actually let me take the AI portion for free, but that`s off the point) but still had to take the OWSI portion before the IE.
You are partly correct. But a DM with another agency can enroll directly in PADI's AI course.

An instructor with another agency would take PADI's OWSI course since they have no separate course to teach PADI's way of conducting classes for non-PADI members. It would be awfully tough to pass the PADI Instructor Examination without that knowledge / practice.

I am a NAUI AI and was informed by a PADI course director all I needed was the Instructor portion of the IDC.

I would talk with a PADI course director. The NAUI AI and DM certs are virtually identical so I do not see any issues, however talking with a PADI CD and going over your certs would be helpful.

I just did my cross over. Just showed proof of NAUI DM, all of the first aid CPR stuff and it was signed on by the instructor. Now I just need to go to the lake and show 20 skills. EASY.

Tha NAUI DM program is actually a bit tougher on the physical side (longer swims) than PADI. I'm not saying it's better, just saying!!

Oh and BTW, I x-over due to PADI's name recognition and to switch shops. I want to become a PADI instructor.

Lots of PADI instructors unemployed down here.....

There are numerous places to get a NAUI ITC not just locally. If you are looking to instruct you want to make sure that the teaching style of the agency you choose matches how you want to teach. The style of teaching from NAUI to PADI is quite differnet but the basic skills are the same. Do some research and find out the true differences and than make a decision. A short trip to become an instructor is not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom