Transmitter Life Span (Do they have one?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a used Oceanic Atom 1.0 a while back that came with a transmitter that the seller thought was dead. He had attempted to change the battery in both the computer and transmitter and never was able to get the 2 to sync up again.
The computer was thought to be good and for the price I paid even if I had to purchase another transmiter it was a great deal.
Upon examination of the computer I found the receiver was turned off after correcting that and adding in the correct transmitter code I found the transmitter not working.
I removed the battery checked the voltage and discovered a spec of dirt on the battery terminal inside the transmitter. After cleaning and reinstalling the battery everything checked out perfectly. The posting of this true story has help many Oceanic/Aeris users reclaim transmitters thought defective. In actuallity other than oxide building on the battery contacts, dirt on the contacts or flooding Oceanic transmitters are fairly rugged. I can't speak for or against others as I have not experienced them.

Geeez, a phenomena? I understood it was not entirely uncommon with wifi. But wifi requires a balance of transmission and reception - receiver needs to transmit a confirmation of 'packet integrity' prior to the transmitter sending the next packet - so this is apparently not a comparable technology to a 1 way transmitter found in Integrated Air systems.

@Puffer Fish - Good to know, thank you. (BTW why your avitar no puff?)
@Codiak, and Brishar - Thanks.

I suppose I asked this question as there was a second hand unit up over in the classified section and another member asked for 'proof' that it still 'worked'. So I started wondering, other that mistreatment, why it might not work, and I was reminded of my laptops and ergo, my original question.

I think I have had maybe 10 or 12 wifi systems burn out... pretty common thing...

I change my avatar to some fish face picture I've taken... Puffer's come up about twice a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom