Transpac/OMS IQ vs a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of compact and streamlined, it's very tough to beat a plate/hog harness/small wing. I would consider the DSS kydex plate with a STA-less wing; the LCD 20lb wing is tiny, and the 17 lb tropical wing even smaller.

First, though, I would think about your weight requirements; if a SS plate alone will get you weighted properly, it's definitely worth carrying it around. No lead is a really nice way to dive.

CompuDude:
I'd prefer the aluminum BP. They just feel more stable to me, and they're very comfortable, contrary to how they look. Plus, at that point, if you ever do any cold water diving, you can just add a steel plate and you're in business. Can't do that with a transpac.

When I left the jacket BC world behind, I started off with a transplate, but ultimately preferred the hog harness. If you're convinced you'll prefer the transplate, go for it, it's a great rig... just not so far removed from the BC you're trying to get away from, IMO. It still packs smaller, though... and if you decide to move to a hog harness later, it's a super cheap conversion.

Thanks for the feedback. I would never be doing any cold water diving, below 70f would be my freezing point. :11: I will probably go with the transplate or OMS comfort harness because I want the padded shoulder straps. Like you said the switch to a hog is very inexpensive if I ever want to take that route.

Hi again,

Our suggestion will always be for you to try both of them out and see what you like. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Both the TransPac and the TransPlate with Aluminum BP + STA Plate weigh about the same (approx. 4 lbs). Both are going to support you the same way and give you infinite ability to adjust to fit you perfectly. With the TransPac you can "strip it down" by removing the waist padding and lumbar pad if you want less bulk and with the TransPlate you can add a lumbar pad to increase your comfort. Half a dozen of one or the other. There are two major differences between the two harnesses. The TransPlate cannot be fitted for petite divers (kids or very tiny women who are short waisted). The TransPlate's smallest size is Medium and that is due to the fact that it is rigged on standard size metal backplate, which automatically creates enough length on the back to be a size medium. Now understand, I am a 5'4" 110 lbs and I wear a Small size t-shirt, but I fit in the Medium size TransPlate due to the fact I am long waisted. Second, the TransPlate cannot convert to a sidemount diving rig. Unless you plan to go sidemount diving soon, that shouldn't be a concern. If you do not fall into either of those categories, then you cannot go wrong with either choice.

Now, the real question is what wing are you going to use? We see more people get frustrated in the water because they have chosen a wing that is not suited for them. Recommendation...Travel wing or Venture wing. Travel wing is all the lift you need for warm water boat diving, aluminum 80. If you plan on diving a steel tank (such as a 95 when lobstering), then you want the extra lift of the Venture.

Let us know how we else we can help.

Cheers,
Kathleen

from a Transpac & Backplate user.

If you're just using single tanks, the transpac is excellent, light weight & great for travel. I have one and love it. The lumbar pad is nice and comfortable.
If you might progress to twin tanks, then I would not recommend the transpac. I tried it, with the stablizer plates and found it to be be too floppy. I have a backplate for my twin tanks. It's much more stable & robust. I use a rec-wing and switch it back and forth as needed.

On cam straps: go with OMS ss buckles. This is not intended as a bash against Dive-Rite.
If you look at my profile, I'm Canadian, & I dive in winter (yes Ice diving).
I've broken too many plastic calm straps in cold weather.
(if you're a warm weather diver disregard this last paragraph)

my 2 cents worth

Mike D

I've been considering a Zeagle Z1 BC instead of a Dive Rite harness and wing set up how do they compare, durability, travel overall.

Started the move from a BC with a Transpac/Venture combination - it is a stable, relatively clean, and lightweight package that permits an easier migration.

That was about 12 months ago, since then my diving has veered into Tech, with a Halcyon BP/Eclipse 40 the choice for my doubles rig. Having become comfortable with this configuration have also added a BP/W for singles. The improved streamlining and simplicity of a hog harness, combined with the greater rigidity of the backplate have rendered my Transpac/Venture rather undived...

mddolson:
On cam straps: go with OMS ss buckles. This is not intended as a bash against Dive-Rite.
If you look at my profile, I'm Canadian, & I dive in winter (yes Ice diving).
I've broken too many plastic calm straps in cold weather.
(if you're a warm weather diver disregard this last paragraph)
Just curious why the OMS SS buckles rather than the DiveRite SS buckles, since the rest of the rigs discussed have all been DR. I've found DR to often be cheaper than OMS, also.

Dive Rite:
Hi again,

Travel wing is all the lift you need for warm water boat diving, aluminum 80. If you plan on diving a steel tank (such as a 95 when lobstering), then you want the extra lift of the Venture.

I was about to comment that they both had the same lift 30lbs but I see from the website that the Venture just got a boost to 45lbs.

Mel

I'm not sure where you are located at but if you are anywhere near me you are welcome to try both out. I have them available for loan/rent. I personally dive a transpac every week. I also have a standard hog harness with a backplate. I have been thinking about the transplate a good bit lately.

Brent

hunter991:
I'm not sure where you are located at but if you are anywhere near me you are welcome to try both out. I have them available for loan/rent. I personally dive a transpac every week. I also have a standard hog harness with a backplate. I have been thinking about the transplate a good bit lately.

Brent

That is a very kind offer, thanks. Unfortunately I am down in Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom