Transpac/OMS IQ vs a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MelC:
I was about to comment that they both had the same lift 30lbs but I see from the website that the Venture just got a boost to 45lbs.

Mel

The old Venture Wing was 30# same as the travel.

I am a DiveRite TransPac (older version) user. It’s a great harness. It is lightweight and perfect for travel. I recently picked up an Apeks WTX harness as well. Both have a 30# venture wing and are very well built. Neither use a hard back plate. I routinely dive in SoCal as well as travel to warm water sites. They both work great. I like the harness system as I can make adjustments underwater if need be, easy to doff and don on shore or underwater.

Unless you use double tanks, I see no reason for a hard back plate other than to reduce lead on the weight belt. The inherit rigidity of the tank combined with two cam straps provide a secure, solid BC. Add to the fact that a hard back plate can be added for doubles diving make them a great choice for me.

Dave

CompuDude:
Just curious why the OMS SS buckles rather than the DiveRite SS buckles, since the rest of the rigs discussed have all been DR. I've found DR to often be cheaper than OMS, also.

mY csot for the OMS was cheaper.
The diveshop (TAM Dive Peterborough, in Canada) with whom I was teaching at the time (2004) stated "their price for the OMS ss buckle & strap assembly was cheaper than the plastic replacement assembly. I bought two.

OMS sells direct to the shops in Canada, while Dive-Rite sells thru a distributor (John Reekie, Inovative Dive Products, I think)

I have no doubt that the Dive-Rite SS version is every bit as good.

Mike D

Teamcasa:
I am a DiveRite TransPac (older version) user. It’s a great harness. It is lightweight and perfect for travel. I recently picked up an Apeks WTX harness as well. Both have a 30# venture wing and are very well built. Neither use a hard back plate. I routinely dive in SoCal as well as travel to warm water sites. They both work great. I like the harness system as I can make adjustments underwater if need be, easy to doff and don on shore or underwater.

Unless you use double tanks, I see no reason for a hard back plate other than to reduce lead on the weight belt. The inherit rigidity of the tank combined with two cam straps provide a secure, solid BC. Add to the fact that a hard back plate can be added for doubles diving make them a great choice for me.

Dave

Are you saying a hard back plate can be added to a Transpac harness???

Don Janni:
Are you saying a hard back plate can be added to a Transpac harness???

The Transpac does not require a hard back plate for doubles diving. The Apeks can use a hard back plate if necessary.

Maybe someone from DiveRite could better explain it.

Dave

Teamcasa:
The Transpac does not require a hard back plate for doubles diving. The Apeks can use a hard back plate if necessary.

Maybe someone from DiveRite could better explain it.

Dave
As I understand it, it uses some sort of stabilizer inserts. And while it works, it's kinda meh compared to a plate.

Unless they made the venture wing WAY bigger, I don't see how it could provide 45 lbs of lift while wrapped around a tank, then again, I never thought my travel wing had 30 lbs either. When you put the wings on a tank they really can't inflate as much.

It doesn't matter, because it would be very unusual for a single tank diver to really need 45 lbs of lift anyway.

The TransPac is not designed to be used with a hard plate. The TransPac is a softplate harness. When diving double tanks, we use TransPac Stab Plates to help the softplate conform to the channel between the two tanks. This gives a secure fit. A hardplate is molded to fit that channel, hence Stab Plates are not necessary with a hardplate.

The Venture wing now provides 45 lbs of lift due to increased width on the side panels. It is not necessary to make the circumference of the wing larger, merely provide more ability for greater inflation. By increasing the side panel width, we are able to achieve greater lift and keep the same streamlining.

Divers who routinely dive steel 95's or larger, especially in cold water enjoy the added lift and trim characteristics of the new Venture wing.

Hope this helps!
Kathleen

BTW: If you are ever curious to read product news, we have added a blog on our website at http://www.diverite.com/blog. Gives some good insights on small tips that make a big difference.

Kathleen - With the Venture wing's lift increased to 45lbs, your product line doesn't provide many options for warm water recreational divers.

I am looking at a package right now that is built around the Trasplate. There is a choice of several wings without changing the package price but only the travel wing has the correct lift. I don't like the visual appearance of the travel so I am leaning toward the Rec wing.

My current BC has 51lbs of lift and I have never had a problem with it. Do you think the Rec wing will be suitable for mainly warm water recreational diving with singles?

letsgodiving:
Kathleen - With the Venture wing's lift increased to 45lbs, your product line doesn't provide many options for warm water recreational divers.

I am looking at a package right now that is built around the Trasplate. There is a choice of several wings without changing the package price but only the travel wing has the correct lift. I don't like the visual appearance of the travel so I am leaning toward the Rec wing.

My current BC has 51lbs of lift and I have never had a problem with it. Do you think the Rec wing will be suitable for mainly warm water recreational diving with singles?
Rec wing is WAY overkill for warm water diving with singles. It's rare to need more than 35# of lift for singles... here in CA with drysuits and thick wetsuits and steel tanks, we don't need more than 35#. For warm water, you need even less. The only reason to have 50# of lift is for use with diving doubles. I'm quite happy using mine for doubles... but I'm FAR happier now that I'm no longer using it for singles.

Don't forget you can mix and match brands freely with bp/w's. I have a DiveRite backplate I use with an OxyCheq Mach V 30# wing, and it's been a great combination. If DiveRite's line of wings doesn't offer the gear you need, you should look outside the product line, not take a piece of gear that doesn't meet your needs and use it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom