Transpac or back plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easdem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Guys and Gals,

I was planning on starting tech class this month, but due to some extenuating circumstances (new baby) I was unable to join the class now, but will do so at the next go around. I have some credit at the shop I work and was planning on beginning to acquire my gear set up.

I am in between the Dive Rite Transpac (with a single double wing), Trans Plate Harnes/backplate and wing and a Halcyon Backplate, wing, set up.

I am leaning towards the transpac, some of the staff instructors at the shop (who dive both) like back plates and others like soft packs...

What do you all think?

i have the diverite plate and voyager wing and transplate harneses with quick release shoulders i love it
the unit is very easy to dive and very stable ! i believe it to be more hard wearing than a pac IMHO
its done around 3000 dives and never had an issue

I'd start with a plate and a simple one piece harness. If it doesn't work out, it will be the cheapest to replace/upgrade, but unless there are some unusual circumstances, it should be fine.

my OW rig is the HOG BP/Wing setup.
For OW, I absolutely love it.

super cheap, extremely high quality, very durable (I've beat the crap out of mine over the years, still looks new).

All my OW gear is all HOG/Edge. Couldn't be happier with it.

just recently switched from transpac to a AL hard plate and I have to say I much prefer the hard plate.

I have both. Happily used the Transpac for many years. The hard plate is more stable and versatile. The Transpac is limited to using Dive Rite wings. With a plate you can pretty much use any mfr. wing you want. If you want the adjustable harness and padding of the Transpac, you can have that too with a plate.

The Transplate is an adjustable harness used with a hard plate. If you want standard harness and plate, there are plenty of less expensive options to Halcyon.

Last edited:
What is your perspective tech instructors feeling about it? I would also go straight to a B/P. It is the tried and true entry level tech aproach. I would steer clear of any products with a big H on them, unless the shop is going to give you the sweetheart deal. There are alot of plates out there that are the same quality and less dinero.
Eric

I am a shop instructor so I get key man pricing... I know that the big H comes at a higher price.

The tech instructor recommends the halcyon back plate with harness and diverite wing...

The translate idea sounds appealing too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I had the same debate couple of years back and started with Transpac + rec wing. As long as I've been diving single h-valve steel cylinder I was very happy. When I switched to double HP100 i found that the wing was a bit too small for the rig in cold fresh water and I got myself a 55# wing ( by the way not a dive rite and it did work perfectly with Transpac). Dove that for a while and saw that slides that connect shoulder harness to the lower harness started to "dig" into the webbing effectively cutting through. Keep in mind this all sewn and not self replaceable in Transpac. At this point I changed to hard BP and single piece of webbing, my Transpac reverts back to original config and serves nicely my son for single tank diving. If you will be using lighter rig, this might not be an issue and newest version might be also more rigid.

The finer point here is that you are the " student " this time. Most tech instructors have very valid and real reasons why they have made the gear selections on their lists. If the instructor does not care which system you use, I would advise the plate over the transpac. The type of webbing and how it is woven is a whole nother bowl of cherios.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom