transpac setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
i recently bought a large transpac from an authorized online dealer (sorry, but no brick and mortar store for 65 miles), along with 16 lb qlr weight pockets, a clipper pocket, and a crotch strap. there are no instructions with the weight pockets as to recommended installation positions. the dive rite web site only has instructions for the older style. what are the best positions for this style pocket (horizontally, vertically, right side up or upside down, how far back, threaded how, etc)? with the limited belt space, where should i put the clipper pocket (for a spare light, signal mirror)? where do i put the front part of the crotch strap (behind the buckle on the left side or on the right "bitter end" of the belt)? how tight do i pull the gussett control bungie cord on my trek wing (diving single steel 95)?
thanks for any suggestions

jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for writing. There is a video on our website for the new QLR 16lb Weight Pockets, but the principles of how to attach remain the same for both old and new. The new 16lb QLR pockets can be attached horizontally along the waist strap or vertically. The older 16lb weight pockets can be attached vertically or at an angle forward. The key is to weave them onto the sideplate that is located on the waistbelt of the Transpac so they don't slip forward. You might have to play with them a bit to see what angle works best for you. SOLUTION FINDER

You also have to play a bit with where you want them. Most folks start with weight pockets directly under each armpit. I am small, so I tend to like mine as far back as possible so I have more room on my waist for other items.

The clipper pocket and the crotch strap can go on either side of the waist/belt buckle. It is completely your personal comfort and choice. If you are right handed, then you may want to load your right side with the pocket so it is easier for you to open and get to things with your right hand. But, if you find it is in the way or prefer the left side that is fine too.

If you have a 1" crotch strap, you may like wearing it behind the buckle on the left so that the crotch stap portion that says on the belt is kept in place by the buckle. If you have a 2" strap, then simply place it wherever it is comfortable each time you don your rig.

Oh, and GCS cord...again personal preference. Your Trek Wing has 45lbs of lift...try diving it with the cord open. Do you roll, do you feel there is too much gas "roaming" around your wing? Then tighten it down a couple inches...do you have enough lift or do you feel that the wing is restricted from giving you the buoyancy you need during a dive or at the surface? Then loosen it up.

There is no right or wrong here. All of this is personal preference and will take some trial and error in a practice body of water to get the rig where you like it.

Best,
Kathleen

thank you for the information. i am still unable to find the weight pocket video. looking forward to diving my new gear!

jack

Go to DiveRite.com and go to Tech Talk and click on Solution Finder. Choose BC and Harness and then choose the topics on the pick list. Adding weight pockets is at the bottom of the pick list. The lady on the video (is that Kathleen?) does an excellent job of showing how to mount the pockets.

My suggestion are twofolds:

1. Location of weight pockets - keep them as far to the sides as you can reach them for emergency ditching. Don't put them close to the front toward your belly button. They will aid in your trimming a lot better this way, not to mention putting the weight on your waistline for carrying instead of bouncing against your bladder and lower stomach.

2. Mount them vertically - In this position, even if you had forgotten to click the buckles (or the unlikely event of the buckles became undone during a dive) in and start swimming, the weight pouches wouldn't slide out due to gravity. Many rec BCs have the weight pouches mounted horizontally and I've seen more than one slid out during a dive because the diver forgot to click the lock in place or the locking mechanism/velcro were worn out (rental gears). I only had the misfortune of ditching weights once at the surface when my corrugated hose came off the wing and the wing filled up with water. It didn't take much effort for me to pull the weight pouches off the outer carrier pouches and clicked the buckles to drop them. Mine were the old style pockets where I had to pull the pouches first and then unlock the fastex buckles whereas this new one, you pop the buckles first and then pull the pouches off.

i currently have them mounted as displayed on kathleens video (i found it), but i'm still considering the veritcal mounting position, or even moving them further back. until my broken hand is functional (new obstacle) i can't fully test my system. but i will continue to ask questions for near future. any experience/preferences will be appreciated

why is the center-to-center distance between grommets on my used trek wing 10 3/4 inches instead of 11 inches? do these wings shrink that much? also, why do the cam band straps obsrtuct the second and fifth grommet holes in the transpac? this makes attaching the wing with sex bolts awkward, as the tank strap will have to be folded or kinked to get the bolt through.

thank you

Hi,

The distance should be 11 inches...but it's hard to say on a used wing what it's been through. Tell me what you're trying to do and how this is impeding your rig set up.

Remove the cam straps entirely from the rig and then attach the TransPac and Wing with the assembly screws and then add back the cam straps. Remember, the Trek Wing is used for technical diving, too, so the position of the grommets have to be designed for both single and double tanks, which requires some adjustment by the user.

Let me know if this helps,
Kathleen

i did what you suggested, and it worked like a charm. i'm finally diving my new equipment, and i love it. i dived at Vandenberg AFB and Old Marine Land (now a resort). the transpac is easily the most comfortable system i have used. thank you kathleen for all your help.

i did what you suggested, and it worked like a charm. i'm finally diving my new equipment, and i love it. i dived at Vandenberg AFB and Old Marine Land (now a resort). the transpac is easily the most comfortable system i have used. thank you kathleen for all your help.

That's awesome to read. Thank you so much for the follow up post!
:)Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom