Transpac single tank height

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seedy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got a Transpac, I dive a single steel Faber 10.5 L tank.
There isnt much room to lower the tank to stop it hitting me in the back of the
head, are there any other adjustments possible with the harness to get the top tank band a bit lower......

Hi
I also have a transpac which I really love to dive with. Ended up with the same problem so I rotate may tank a little bit to one side and that took care of that problem for me. Much easier to look up now.
Melissa

Did you already flip your reg over?

Don't cinch the shoulder straps down too tight. Get a crotch strap to stop it from riding up. As already stated, you can gain some room by turning some regs upside down.

I have an Oceanic CDX-5 set in the down position......I was thinking that maybe the tank really needs packing
out from the transpac a bit.

I have the same problem with my Transpac and its so frustrating I am ready to get rid of it and try something else. I have tried everything that was suggested here. I turned my reg over but its basically the same flipped, I have a DR RG3000. I mostly dive single Steel HP80's however I have tried a Steel 100 and it seems to be a little better with a larger tank but the problem is not completely solved. I am so constricted in my neck movement that I have to changed my body position (attitude) if I am to look forward using a proper hover position. I tried rotating the tank to the side but I still hit my head on the reg no matter which way the reg is offset. I have also tried to cinch up the crotch strap and not cinch the shoulder straps which works but then my tank falls from side to side and is very lose. Then I got to thinking, maybe this whole problem is elevated by my wing, which is the Venture Wing and too big for me...can you say taco. My wing completely eats my tanks. I got this wing for the extra lift when I dive with a dry suit. But now I am thinking I should have got the Travel Wing. I love my Transpac, but so far not impressed with the DR wings I have experimented with. I am sure they are great for some, but this gear just does not fit me. I am quite short, 5'4", but I have seen many others my height dive with the Transpac or something similar.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I give up? My set-up is very uncomfortable which is frustrating since I dive a lot.

I had the same problem until I changed how I put on and tighten the straps.

This is what I do:

BC mounted on tank with top strap as high on the tank as possible.
Loosen shoulder straps.
Put on BC with tank.
Stand up, then tighten waistbelt
Crotch strap should be comfortable, not too tight, not too loose. Adjust if necessary.
Sit down, then tighten shoulder straps.
I play around with the chest strap for comfort.

Works for me and is worth a try.

Is there any reason why the top strap couldnt be removed in these circumstances the strap at the top of the wing tightened around the pillar valve will stop any 'slop' and the bottom strap should be more than capable of securely holding a single during recreational diving/

You could even re-thread the top strap through the wing webbing only a little lower down, whilst it wont take any weight it will add to stability in the water, the bottom strap will take the weight.

Not ideal but it should offer a fast and dirty fix. The only permanent solution would be to get someone who knows what they are doing to stitch an extra couple of heavy duty webbing loops onto the existing webbing a little lower down to allow for more flexibility in tank position.

I thing Dive Rite need to take this issue on board and include a 2nd pair of tank band slots in the Transpac back plate, it would only be a case of re-specifying the way the webbing is stitched to the backplate during production so a slot is left in case anyone wants to use it. The bottom slots can stay where they are, it's only the top ones that are the issue!

Yeah, I tried to remove the top strap and although that did work to keep the valve and reg from hitting me in the back of the head, it created other problems with the wing itself. Unfortunately the Transpac is designed for only 2 slots for the cam straps, so you cannot adjust these. Removing them would have worked better if I had a horseshoe shaped wing, but I don't, I have a donut style wing. After trying several things and nothing working, I think I know whats wrong... my Transpac is too big for me. I have a size Medium and I should probably have a Small or X-Small. I had my husband try my Transpac on and although he is more like a Large or X-Large, he did not have the same problem. The reg and valve stem area was positioned lower on his back where it should be, not right behind his neck like it is with me. I am going to take it to my local DR dealer to see if they agree. If so, I may have a fairly new Transpac for sale soon.

Yeah, I tried to remove the top strap and although that did work to keep the valve and reg from hitting me in the back of the head, it created other problems with the wing itself. Unfortunately the Transpac is designed for only 2 slots for the cam straps, so you cannot adjust these. Removing them would have worked better if I had a horseshoe shaped wing, but I don't, I have a donut style wing. After trying several things and nothing working, I think I know whats wrong... my Transpac is too big for me. I have a size Medium and I should probably have a Small or X-Small. I had my husband try my Transpac on and although he is more like a Large or X-Large, he did not have the same problem. The reg and valve stem area was positioned lower on his back where it should be, not right behind his neck like it is with me. I am going to take it to my local DR dealer to see if they agree. If so, I may have a fairly new Transpac for sale soon.

Good to hear you are getting somewhere! Don't give up on the Transpac, from my limited experience with it all I have is praise! Everything from comfort to buoyancy control has jumped massively since I got it..!

Bests
Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom