Transpac vs BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i agree with RJP if you are even considering the Transpac, it wont do what the BP/W will IMHO. I just switched to a Dive-Rite BP/W and I love it. Go with the SS backplate, the BASIC harness, and the voyager wing, and you will be happy. If you don't want the metal plate on your back directly they make a pad that covers the plate. Since Im only diving singles for now, I also removed the wing nuts and attached my STA with lock nuts. What is it about the Transpac that you like? If I HAD to own a BCD, then the Transpac is probably the nicest of them all, however everyone I have known that has owned one has sold it and gotten a BP/W. Diving with a BP/W is a very liberating feeling, and most definitely lives up to all the hype.

I have the ScubaPro X-Tek which is essentially the original Transpac. I greatly prefer it to my BPs because I find it more stable with the same tank and wings. I also find the soft harness far easier to extricate myself from than a BP should that situation arise. I am a solo diver so that is important to me. Your mileage may vary.

yeah i absolutely do not agree that transpac divers will always switch to plates. There's a reason they still sell it, and there are a lot of us that dive it. I have no idea what a backplate will do that a transpac won't do, but I can think of a few the transpac will that the plates won't. One of the greatest things about the transpacs is that they are comfortable to carry on land for distances. If you tell me you can carry a set of steel doubles for a distance more comfortably in a one piece harness than a transpac, I'm sorry, but you're full of sh!t. It was designed specifically to carry doubles for long distances, and the one piece was designed for caves where you don't usually have to carry them for more than 50 yards to the entrance, but for less stuff underwater. It's pros and cons, if you have to carry more and prefer comfort on land, then get a transpac type harness, if you are a minimalist and don't have to carry gear very far, and want the extra negative buoyancy than a backplate is great for that. If you need both then the transplate is also great. I had a transplate for a while before I sold it. I sold it because I didn't need the extra weight afforded by the plate and because of my back length I needed a longer plate anyway. You see a LOT of people who dive the bp/w and swear by them and say everything else is crap, but there is a reason they exist and people still dive them. The one piece harnesses are great if you fit that "normal male" size, but if you are broad chested you need a chest strap to keep the straps from cutting off circulation, lots of variables.

A properly fitted Transpac with crotch strap should not ride up and down and should be at least as comfortable as a backplate/harness. Both work well. The Transpac will actually give you the option to try sidemount in the future, although there are better systems for that.

Make sure you understand the proper fitting adjustments. Dive Rite has some excellent videos about fitting Transpacs as well as other systems.

Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive Rite Scuba
Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive Rite Scuba

I find the second video confusing. The guy says the recommended position for the side plate is below the arm pits. But on the vidoe, it looks like the side plates are much further back. Am I missing something?

The Transpac is an excellent BC. I intend to own one if I can ever wear out this friggin Zeagle Ranger.

Like that'd ever happen.

I had to just go out and buy the BP/W I wanted. My Zeagle now just sits.

There is no correct answer to your question, however some additional thoughts to consider:

Exposure protection...BP/Wing can pinch and poke without wetsuit or in a rash guard.
Weight...BP/Wing can give added weight with a steel plate or simply an aluminum plate and sta removing the need for weight pockets, a substantial cost savings
TransPlate...nice cross between the two...get the fit and support of the TransPac style harness with the weight of a plate

Either way, wear a crotch strap and avoid the up and down of a jacket BCD. Also, be sure you've selected the correct wing for your diving. Travel or Voyager should be fine for your needs.

Cheers,
Kathleen

I have both. I use the bp/w only. Any disconfort youmay have, in the wing, you can fix (Pads on the straps ect. If setup right, there probably wont be discomfort for the wide range of normal builds. I bought 2 bp/w's for the price of my one transpac. When you look at the air2 type wing hose alone it is the price of the plate,,,, the wing is the price of another bp/w. Harness and rings is no more than 50 bucks and you are done. I have DSS bpw's... The trans pac is very comfortable ,all padded and such. And a great selling point was it can be modified to any use. Thinking back on it all ,that is what the kirby salesman said about the vac he sold me. I have yet to paint a car with it. The trans system is very versitile and ergonomic and can turn the head of many who see it and compares it to the standard jacket bc. On the boats everyone is eyeing your rig. BUT I cant remove and put on the transpac in the water(fruiction of all the pading) , even with the separatable shoulder strap. I can with my bp'w .. I believe after a year of using it, my bp/w feels more secure also. Need some advice on your bp/w you can get it all over the place. the transpac/plate,,,, not so much. I just returned from diving the texas clipper and saw not one transpac. all standard bp/w's. Good luck with your decision

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom