Transpac XT Twin Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Aviator_1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just purchased a Transpac XT and I plan on taking it to Mexico with me. Unfortunately, I won't be able to assemble a set of doubles there, but I want to use twin tanks at least. I haven't had any real experience with a Transpac, so this is my question. I have the transpac and a REC EXP wing. I also have all the necessary regulators and SPG's, as well as the double cylinder bands. Can I just use them independently without the manifold and switch between regulators during the dive to leave a safe reserve in each tank while using the 1/3 rule? This is my first venture into doubles, as I've always used sidemount in the past and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Where are you going in Mexico? There are certainly manifolded doubles available in cave country.

Exactly, why not Sidemount???? I personally recommend a BP for doubles over soft back harness (Transpac). BP offers a lot better back support for the doubles. If you are going to stay with the Tanspac and doubles then make sure you get the Stabilizer Plates.

BC2084-2T.jpg

Folks, I believe you misunderstood his question. He has the Transpac XT with a Rec Wing. It's not the side-mount Nomad XT. So he has SM experience, but he's asking about a non-SM setup. That's the way I read it anyway.

Safe dives,

Cyp

The_Aviator_1 - "I've always used sidemount in the past"

This is the statement that lead to our response.

I understand, Wayne and didn't mean anything by what I said. :)

I was just pointing out that he apparently wants to dive his new BM setup as opposed to his SM setup and that is why he was asking the question. When I had quickly read over the post at first...I saw Dive Rite and XT and SM and immediately thought he was diving the Nomad, as I am used to seeing XT associated with the Nomad.

Anyway, carry on gentlmen, I'm just babbling and taking up thread space. :)

I appreciate all the responses and I completely understand where the initial thought would be why change. After open water my initial venture into tech was always side mount. And while I do enjoy it, I've always been curious to know what it was like to dive double back mounted and to experience the differences between the two so I can decide which I prefer myself. It's probably a waste of money but at least ill be able to say that I've tried it haha. Thank you for the stabilizer plate information I just ordered a set and I apologize for taking so long to respond back. I was out of cell phone range so I couldn't get on. I was starting to go through sb withdrawal!

No worries Cyprian, I just wanted to explain my reasoning behind my comment.

Aviator - Like I said, if you want to give it a fair evaluation, a Backplate will make a huge difference over the Transpac. When I first started diving doubles, I too did it with the Transpac and a Wreck Wing. After months of diving that way, my brother said I should be in a BP. I switched and saw a difference, then he pointed out that I should be using a wing that is meant for doubles and I switched to a Classic Wing. Both changes were huge and made a big improvement to my overall control in the water and I have never looked back (when it comes to philosophy) with diving doubles. Being that everything is new and you want to use it for doubles, I would try to exchange it for the BP (SS or Alum.) w/Classic 360 wing and that would be a much better combo for the doubles. Hope you don't mind the post, just want to share the experience I went through and try to steer you right the first time around. Secondly, I would try to find an quality Instructor/mentor that can help you set up your harness/doubles and that can help you with valve management techniques. Without proper guidance a lot of people have trouble reaching valves and working them properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom