Trashfest 09 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The spot we had 401 W Lincoln just down from the Lincoln bridge, had a apartment balcony over looking the diving spot. Those pics were from the balcony by the stairs looking over our section.

Ah cool, didn't realize there was public access there, I generally just dive in Solms park. I dive the Comal fairly often since it's close to me and the water is generally nice.

Sorry to hear about the flu, any oinking or strange attractions to miss piggy?

None that I didn't already have. :wink:

What was the max depth there btw?

I don't think it was public, the signs all said private property no trespassing, I assumed the trashfest people got permission for us to be there.

Apparently my depth gauge found a 10' hole somewhere, but I never saw it. Average would be between 4 and 5 feet. I could stand everywhere I tried to.

It was a weird feeling kicking your fins and feeling them out of the water.

Is the attached pic of Solms Park? I took it at the weigh in station, and never noticed where I was.

Attachments

• Photo186.jpg
    Photo186.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 50
I don't think it was public, the signs all said private property no trespassing, I assumed the trashfest people got permission for us to be there.

Correct. Many of the access points assigned are not public and should not be used at other times of the year. Joanne, the event chairman, beat on doors all along the river securing river access and parking.

Is the attached pic of Solms Park? I took it at the weigh in station, and never noticed where I was.

Solms is above that chute/falls thingy. I typically go up there as the access is easier and the is more areas with 8-10' depth.

Apparently the city of New Braunsfels hired divers to clean up the Comal river sometime this year. For those of you that make this yearly trek this is kind of disheartening to hear this. In a way this shows that the city of New Braunsfel don’t appreciate all us divers do. I plan to email my opinions to the city manager. His name is Michael Morrison and here is his email. mmorrison@nbtexas.org Not being a citizen of New Braunsfels they may not listen but at least they will know some of our opinions.

How is the interest of a group of divers greater than the interest of a city that relies on tourism with regards to having a clean river?

The amount of trash removed was greater than last year. Even the easy stuff, cans, bottles, shoes, had sizeable quantities overall. Just not in some sections.

Trash fest is still a fun and valuable event. So there isn't a whole lot of trash in some sections, that is just luck of the draw.

I think e-mailing the City Manager complaining that the river was too clean to pick up trash isn't going to have the effect you desire. He has much bigger issues to deal with.

Hey all - came home last night and got the truck cleaned out and am finally checking in with email and whatnot here at work. When I get home to my laptop I will upload pix from the Comal and the Giant Stride. It was an awesome weekend - even if soggy. The big plus was that it was just wet and not cold and wet. Had a great time even if I didnt find a lot of trash. :)

Great to see everyone on the Stride as well. Thanks for Robert for another awesome diving day :)

THE BEST TEAM ! :D
group 2.jpg
FLUSS RATTANS

start 1.jpg start.jpg dive spot.jpg event.jpg Michael 2.jpg
8:00AM............9:00AM............Dive Spot.........The Event........Our Team's Winner
We all had fun rain and all, one team member found one of the highly searched for "COLORED ROCKS" winning our only prize. Several of our team got up early Sunday for a day of diving at Lake Travis with Robert on the "Giant Stride"(Lake Travis Scuba) rounding out a great weekend of diving. Thank you "Fluss Rattans" !

You should have that posted over here. I was surprised no one from Maximum Scuba hauled him out. :shakehead:

Looks like Amanda owes me $20.00 then.. She bet he would be dancing with the Police before last call...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom