Travel Agents steering away from Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say about a week or so ago I was watching a program. Anyway, one of the snipets was some supposed guru on travel. This guy basically said to skip Mexico that even if one were to get a deal on airfare they would not have a place to stay. He said all of the hotels were full of construction workers.

I was horrified when he said that - who knows how many people will just listen and not find out for themselves.

Christi, I am so happy things are getting better down there and I appreciate all of your updates.

detroit diver:
I just got back from Coz. Never been there before.

The corals were all covered in sand-everywhere. And the city looked like the scene from the A-bomb films in Nevada (except a bit cleaner). From the dive boat, every building along the shore was see-thru.
I wonder where you get the basis to make a judgment that the corals were "all covered in sand" having not been to Cozumel before? Same goes for the town. I thought it looked pretty good all things considering. I did notice some more sand in a few areas, but mostly I saw where sand had been removed from many dive sites.

SteveDiver:
I was informed this by Alison "Scuba with Alison" and when I called carnival to complain the rep informed me that they changed the port due to Cost Issues and to keep the cruise prices down. Thanks for telling me what Calica is did not know...We booked with another dive operator after consulting with Alision regarding not having enough time to get to her. The ship will only be in port from 9am-5pm .. and we want to get four dives in... There is seven of us going all of whom are not very happy about not going to Cozumel...

I am wondering why there have been carnival ships there? hmmmm. something is up... Our friends travel agent called to inform them of the change and offered their money back stating the same reason... Do you think this is something that has not yet occurred?

Well, I have no reason to doubt what Alison said. Maybe Carnival is just bringing certain ships in based on how long of a cruise and the cost of the cruise.

Too bad your ship schedule isn't more coopertive to get you over to Coz...diving in Playa is noce, but it's not Cozumel.

Have fun anyway and I'm sure you'll get back to Cozumel as soon as you can!

Christi:
Cruise ships do not support the diving economy by the way...land-based divers do.
Hey! We may be the minority, but I'll take any way I can, to get to a dive spot!! :D If the cruise stops at 3 or 4 dive ports, all the better! (Of course Coz is the best!!) We do what we can to support the dive economy!!

My girfriend's Aunt is a travel agent. She said that they are told to divert customers to the Dominican Republic instead of Coz.
I looked up DR on orbitz and it looked like everything was AI resorts which means that the island must really suck. I'm just not a AI resort person.

I just can't wait to get to Cozumel this summer. Which speaking of, how is it down there around July?

SteveDiver:
Apparently, Carnival lost their dock in the storm and the City of Cozumel wanted to charge them 4 million to use their pier. So, Carnival told Cozumel to shove it and went south.
A bunch of mental giants running Cozumel right now isn't there :(

The Travel agents maybe the last people I take advice from on a trip to Coz right now. It seems to me that they likely make the most profit off package deals that include airfare, hotel, and maybe even stuff like diving with a paticular outfit. With some of the larger hotels having to rebuild, and the airlines dealing with some limited flights, and some dive ops out of commision I'd guess the Travel agents would rather book people at places that are currently less restrictive.

As that goes, I think that the Travel agents make more sending people to Hawaii or someplace more expensive vs. Mexico.

Based on all the reports I've read on the diving in Coz, it's good. I'd go in a heartbeat if I could arrange it, and make the nondiving family members happy. Unfortunately I would agree that for non divers, Coz may not be in the best shape currently.

I'll poke my head up quickly here... and hope you all don't bite it off just because I'm a TA.

Was in Cozumel immediately after Emily and again last month, albeit unfortunately only for a day in December. There was definitely some damage to the reefs both times, but they are far from decimated. It's really interesting now how you can see more of certain things now (like anemones, surprisingly) than I used to before the storms. Maybe because the surrounding corals/sponges were thinned out a bit. Maybe because they moved around. Not sure, but I can tell you that the reefs are alive and well worth the diving!

I'm constantly amazed at how quickly the Cozumelenos come together and get things going again. AND I tell my clients that. No, it's not as scenic topside as it was. But it's still an amazing place, and one to put your sense of priorities in order.

Now, as to the cruise ships and Carnival. They are still sending *some* ships there. Part of the issue is that Cozumel, with the tendering since the three docks are in various state of damage, cannot support as many ships (shh, don't tell my clients, but I think that's a good thing - NO port is good with 11 ships at a time). Since Carnival CORPORATION (not just Carnival Line) essentially owned/controlled one of the docks, they've decided to limit their ships going there. However, several of the longer sailings, such as the Conquest out of Galveston, Miracle out of Tampa and others do still stop there. As does Princess, Costa and Holland America, three other Carnival brands.

There are definitely travel agents out there who have no clue. But some also take the effort to get the facts, and some even travel themselves to give first-hand reports to their clients. Just like you support dive shops who do the best job (hopefully ones who work to protect the environment and advocate responsible diving), support those travel agents who do the same.

Oh, and by the way? I'm encouraging all my appropriate clients (those who are not the high maintenance whiners who are never happy even when everything is "perfect") to go to Cozumel as soon as they can. Stay as long as they can. Spend as much as they can with local shops.

::: end of rant :::

::: placing head back under cover again :::

94GTStang:
My girfriend's Aunt is a travel agent. She said that they are told to divert customers to the Dominican Republic instead of Coz.
I looked up DR on orbitz and it looked like everything was AI resorts which means that the island much really suck.

AI = Commission
DR= Fair diving at best.
Coz= People go out of their way for you.
Travel Agents= see AI

Coz does not suck right now and I have plans to return later this year.

Ron

Ron Brandt:
AI = Commission
DR= Fair diving at best.
Coz= People go out of their way for you.
Travel Agents= see AI

Coz does not suck right now and I have plans to return later this year.

Ron
I meant that the DR itself must not be that hot of an island to go explore. Hence the reason to keep you at the resort.

Until I get my profession underway and the money starts flowing in, I'm going to stick to Cozumel. Then I wouldn't mind hitting up the Cayman's, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom