Travel bcd - help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't $155, but if you liked the Axiom and are okay with back inflate, the AL Dimension is basically a back inflate version of Axiom. About 1 lb lighter, and folds flatter.

I was going to buy the Aeris but they don't want to ship to canada. :(

Any other suggestions? I fit into an Aqualung Axion 2xl easily.

I really hate to hear that. I think you would have been happy with the 5 Oceans. Shame they wouldn't ship it to Canada for you. I tried to find some that would ship to Canada and actually found a couple, but they did not have a 2XL. There is one listed on Ebay that is actually less, but with shipping added comes to around $160.00 US, but it is an XL. I doubt it would fit you very well. Sorry.

The Aeris was $155 on the site GreggS had suggested. I went ahead and bought one. Hopefully they will ship to me but who knows. It says, will not ship outside of the Caribbean and USA but it still let me check out.

So I'm looking at either the zeagle stilleto or aqualung rogue. (Open to other options)
Take a look at the Rogue. Specifically, look at that pretty padding. Do you REALLY want to carry extra lead simply to offset the positive buoyancy of BCD padding that you don't need to begin with?
I used 32lbs of weight in cold water with 7mm suit, gloves, boots, etc. I'm about 310lbs.
That is A LOT of weight - not a criticism, just a fact. At 310, you are probably positively buoyant, and need the weight to begin your descent. (I worked with a student this weekend, who wore a full 7mm suit, a hood, and gloves, and he needed only 10 pounds of weight. He is a bit on the negatively buoyant side. If you need 32, you are most likely positively buoyant.) So, don't add to your lead burden with a BCD that is also positively buoyant.
jamilio:
Would I be fine with diving in swimming shorts with one of these travel bcds? Or do I need something more heavy duty like the full axiom?
You can dive with either of these, in swim shorts and warm Caribbean SALT water. You do not need a 'heavy duty' BCD. What you DO need is a neutral / negatively buoyant BCD, to minimize the ADDED weight you have to carry on you dive, simply to descend. And, that allows you to dive with a smaller bladder wing, with less lift because you don't need that extra lift to float the extra lead at the surface.

You are actually one of the better candidates for a 6lb stainless steel backplate, which takes weight off your waist (where most integrated weight pockets unfortunately put it) and puts it on your back, adjacent to your physiologic center of lift, where you actually want it to be. A SS BP, with waist strap-mounted weight pockets ( e.g. Dive Rite Quick Buckle Weight System | Dive Gear Express®) to be more specific, provides a streamlined solution that travels well.

You may hear from naysayers, that a steel BP is not 'travel friendly'. Don't buy that. I fly to the Caribbean every year with one, as does my wife. I put mine in the computer pocket of my backpack, as a carry-on, so I am not paying baggage charges. The plates / wings travel quite nicely.
Jamilio:
I'm not a fan of using a weight belt so ideally a weight integrated bcd is what I'm looking for.
Not a problem. Personally, though I teach through 2 shops that are big Aqualung dealers (and I dive with Apeks wings, etc.) I am no fan of the Aqualung Surelock system. Although the Zeagle ripcord system has its detractors, it is a better - or at least more secure - system.

I did no notice your weight before. If you're not interested in a metal bp/wing one option could be the Zeagle Express Tech which is a soft backplate that would work at whatever weight you end up at.
Not cheap but it's a good quality product. Add their Ripcord - I have one on my Ranger - it's a nice system.

Hopefully the Aeris will show up one day.

You guys are all awesome and I really appreciate all the advice!

Hi @Jamilio

I dived an Aqua Lung Outlaw for quite a while and ended up abandoning it for my diving Aqualung Outlaw

The Rogue addressed some of the features I disliked but the main weight pockets are the same. The rear dump may be the same also.

Hi @Jamilio

I dived an Aqua Lung Outlaw for quite a while and ended up abandoning it for my diving Aqualung Outlaw

The Rogue addressed some of the features I disliked but the main weight pockets are the same. The rear dump may be the same also.
Rogue adds a right shoulder dump if that was your issue. Also available is a waist belt version with more traditional Surelock II configuration, which could also be used on the Outlaw.

Hi @JackD342

Thanks for the response. I nearly exclusively use my butt dump, the lack of a right shoulder dump was not a problem with the Outlaw.

I'll have to take a look at the alternative waist belt/weight pockets. However, looks like they may run $150.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom