Travel bcd - help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamilio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm looking at either the zeagle stilleto or aqualung rogue. (Open to other options)

I did my certification in an axion bcd and loved it but wanted something similar for travel to the warm places down south.

I used 32lbs of weight in cold water with 7mm suit, gloves, boots, etc. I'm about 310lbs.

Would I be fine with diving in swimming shorts with one of these travel bcds? Or do I need something more heavy duty like the full axiom?

I'm not a fan of using a weight belt so ideally a weight integrated bcd is what I'm looking for.

Welcome to the board.
I don't know about the zeagle stilleto or aqualung rogue.
But here are some similar discussions, in the last 3 months, as ideas.

Lightweight BCD suggestions?
First BCD, want integrated weights, mostly for travel
What do I lose with a travel BC
Reviews & Questions - Aqualung Rogue

Best beginner BCD for mixed warm/cold water
Zeagle Stiletto or BP/W?

Do you know how much lead you need in the tropics? When not wearing a 7mm presumably.
Weight harnesses are also an option for some of your lead.
Many recommend some skin protection against stinging things. Rash guard on 2/3 mm.

Just purchased 2 Aqualung Rogues for my boys at LDS. Easy to configure shoulder, back & waist size to fit. My boys have completed 10+ dives in them with ease. Easy to pack & great lift capacity, 35#. I would recommend trying it out.

Would I be fine with diving in swimming shorts with one of these travel bcds? Or do I need something more heavy duty like the full axiom?
I'm not a fan of using a weight belt so ideally a weight integrated bcd is what I'm looking for.

I use an Aqualung travel bcd (Zuma) and have used it across the spectrum of a rash guard with swimsuit up to a 7mm wetsuit. I’m 6’4” and 230 lbs.

The integrated weight pockets are nice and should hold enough weight for the Caribbean. I used as little as 6 lbs in a swimsuit, 12-16 lbs in a shorty or 3mm, and 20-28 in a 5mm and 7mm. I should add that I’m always carrying a camera also, so there’s a little added buoyancy. The only times I’ve run into trouble is in a 5 or 7 mm when I needed a little more weight once the dive started. My Zuma (an older model) has 1 pocket that weight could be added to, which will throw you off balance, and I have added weight to my tank strap, which also can throw you off balance. Since dives like that, I have added a weight pocket that slides on the tank strap (I have it centered) so that weight can be added more easily.

* I hate belts also. I have no rear end, so I have to inhale and really tighten it or it’s going to slide down towards my legs!

I owned a Stiletto once and while they say it's a travel BC - it really does not pack small.

In their line this is the one you want:
Covert XT

Have you tried the Rogue on yet? At 310 lbs, I am not so sure about the fit since there is no XL or larger. Also, be aware there is a waist band extender available if that would make it work.
Also not sure if you are looking for a BCD just for travel, or if you will also use it locally. If local too, be sure to have a 7mm suit on when you try it on for size.

This BCD may be an option for you.

Aeris 5 Oceans BC blue

Although it is an Aeris and is discontinued, most of the replaceable parts on it are compatible with some Oceanic parts. The inflator is interchangeable with Oceanic and the weight pockets are the same as the Oceanic QLR system. I know this because I just lost a weight pocket 2 weeks ago while diving, ordered a pair of QLR pockets from Diver's Supply, and they fit perfectly. Fortunately, I found the one I lost before the new ones came in so now I have a spare set, which is good since my wife and I both dive this BCD. I also use an Oceanic Air 2 inflator/secondary. The BCD is back inflate with over 40 pounds of lift. It is light-weight (7.5 lbs) and packs well for travel.

Since it is discontinued, there are limited sizes available, but I think the 2X should fit you and it is available. I am 6' 1" and weigh around 255 lbs and use the 2XL, but I have it adjusted as tight as I can. Since I'm losing weight, I'm thinking of buying the XL since it is priced at only $155.00.

Check it out. It may be just what you need. My wife and I really like ours.

This BCD may be an option for you.

Aeris 5 Oceans BC blue

Although it is an Aeris and is discontinued, most of the replaceable parts on it are compatible with some Oceanic parts. The inflator is interchangeable with Oceanic and the weight pockets are the same as the Oceanic QLR system. I know this because I just lost a weight pocket 2 weeks ago while diving, ordered a pair of QLR pockets from Diver's Supply, and they fit perfectly. Fortunately, I found the one I lost before the new ones came in so now I have a spare set, which is good since my wife and I both dive this BCD. I also use an Oceanic Air 2 inflator/secondary. The BCD is back inflate with over 40 pounds of lift. It is light-weight (7.5 lbs) and packs well for travel.

Since it is discontinued, there are limited sizes available, but I think the 2X should fit you and it is available. I am 6' 1" and weigh around 255 lbs and use the 2XL, but I have it adjusted as tight as I can. Since I'm losing weight, I'm thinking of buying the XL since it is priced at only $155.00.

Check it out. It may be just what you need. My wife and I really like ours.

At $155 bucks for my first BCD, I'll definitely give this a go! Thank you!!! I'll buy something more expensive when I'm skinny again and lost the post children weight (yes, guys gain weight after having kids too)

@Jamilio At 310, your first hurdle is fit. You need to buy a bc that fits you properly. After that look at features and packing. I would recommend a backplate and wing. You can use a soft plate if you want and add weight pockets. If you lose weight you can cinch the webbing and cut off the excess. If you gain weight you can let the webbing out. As I mentioned in another thread, a wing with a soft plate is just like a back inflate BC, except you can customize it more.

I was going to buy the Aeris but they don't want to ship to canada. :(

Any other suggestions? I fit into an Aqualung Axion 2xl easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom