Travel info needed: Cancun and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking for information on what good hotels there are to stay at in either cancun or cozumel........i plan on leaving in late october and want to make the right decision on where to stay and dive....

anyone have any expierences or ideas??

thanks.:confused:

but dive with Solo Buceo on the beach at the El Camino Real. The close reefs are ok, fun at night. There are a couple of wrecks there now. For great diving you should get down to Cozumel and the cenotes. Solo Buceo will take you down.

#77,

We have been to Cozumel too many times to count and Cancun too few times to care! If you are diving, skip Cancun, go directly to Cozumel and collect 200 pesos.

There are all sorts of good places to stay on Cozumel and many good dive shops. A number of people we know take a package with Island Dreams Travel ( www.islandream.com ). They provide Continental AL service with the only non-stop from Houston to Cozumel, pick up and return service to the hotel, hotel reservations, and diving reservations.

The Hotel is the Fiesta Americana, a great place. The dive shop is called The Dive House and is located right on the hotel grounds. So, you store your gear in one of their lockers after you check-in (bring your own lock if you do not want to buy one there), have a leisurely breakfast the next day, saunter down to the locker for your gear, and then take the short walk to one of the dive boats. Not a bad way to start the day!

The Fiesta is a taxi ride from town. There are numerous good restaurants in town. Currently we favor Guido's, The French Quarter and La Mission, but there are many others. Or you can eat at one of the restaurants in the hotel. But to be honest, we kinda like heading into town for dinner and a stop at the Kodak shop to have our film processed: we are real fans of instant gratification!

October is the very tail end of hurricane season, so you should be okay. Expect water temps of 80 deg, vis in the neighborhood of 100 ft., and an abundance of fish and spectacularly colored coral that will make you want to return every year. We do!

Scorpionfish (Hey, that's not kelp. It's my lower lip!)

Coz is where you want to go for diving. I also support using Island Dreams and they hotels they have in thier package deals. Excellent TA to work with.

Dee and scorpionfish are right. Cozumel over Cancum anyday if you want diving. If you want Girls Gone Wild- go to Cancun.
I took a package to Cozumel with Adventure tours. The hotel we stayed at was Sun Village right in the middle of the town square. We got the hotel, flight, and transfers from the airport for about $300 a piece. Sun Village wasn't a great hotel. But it served it's purpose. I wasn't hanging out at the hotel anyway.
Fiesta is a nice hotel. Ibero Eurostar is a good one also. Just depends if you want to go super cheap or spend a little extra for a decent hotel.

Playa del Carmen might be a good compromise. You can catch the ferry across to Coz. You'll be close to the cenotes. You can still head up to Cancun, for the wild night life. You'll be close to the ruins of Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza. (If you consider the 125 mile drive to Chichen Itza close)

Went to Cozumel last June for a week. Got a package through PADI. the Plaza Las Glorias is GREAT! All rooms ocean view from balcony. 5 minute walk to town. Dive shop on premises. Gear lockers available, no charge but take your own lock. Grocery store/department store right across street. Sand beach, ironstone at water. Junkpile in swimming area in front of hotel with quite a bit of sealife, saw a scorpion fish, spotted ray, along with all kinds of tropicals (at the junkpile). The package was a morning two tank dive every day, but you could sign up for an afternoon single tank dive for $9 also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom