Travel Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys I plan to dive no more than 20 days a year (I usually dive at least twice a day, so that's 40 dives a year) as I live in the UK and I don’t like to be in the cold.

I am planning to buy a BCD and maybe a regulator that I could carry when travelling.

One thing I was wondering is whether you take in your luggage only the regulator or the whole thing with the first stage ?

Also for someone like me who will only do 20 days maximum of diving a year, is it worth it to buy my own regulator ?

EDIT1:
I own already my own mask, dive computer, 5mm wetsuit, and a few gadgets like a light, knife and DSMB+reel.

Money is not too much an issue here, I was more wondering if many people here travel with their own regulator + BCD. I went to Malta for diving and saw other people telling me that owning your own equipment makes everything more comfortable as you always dive with the same equipment.

About not diving in the UK I may change my mind later, I have a dry suit class planned for October. I will see how it goes and may decide to dive more in the UK. The main issue for me is that I live in London, so it takes at least 3 hours by train to go to any place by the sea and even more to go to a nicer site like Plymouth.

I am thinking of owning my own BCD as well, I was looking at this:
* Hollis: Harness (£140) + Backplate (£90) + Wing (£265)
* Apeks: Harness and Wing (£326) + Travel Backplate (£72)

Would I need to buy a Single Tank Adapter like this one as well ?

Financially? No, I don’t think it’s worth it. Especially if you follow manufacturer recommended service intervals (every year for most.)

That said, I always appreciated having my “own” stuff that I knew the history of. I also like tinkering with options. Finally I liked having a consistent setup which made figuring out weights simpler.

Rental regulators don’t breathe great, but they’re fine. If you get your own you’ll enjoy it but a vacation diver shouldn’t expect to save money.

I used to take the regulator (both stages, SPG, everything) in the cabin with me as a carry-on. Now I just wrap it in a towel or something similar for protection in a checked bag. If particularly worried about theft I might go back. Easier to rent a regulator on the other side and continue a trip than, say, my underwater camera setup.

I was wondering if it makes sense to only bring the second stage and then ask the diving centre to mount it on one of their first stages ?

I was wondering if it makes sense to only bring the second stage and then ask the diving centre to mount it on one of their first stages ?
No...all or none. If money isn’t an issue, buy a second hand Good setup....

Some good deals here and often from your neck of the woods too.

Classifieds: Regulators

If you want to buy a new, travel regulator, the AquaLung Micron is one choice. Or Apeks Flight.

If you want to buy a new, travel regulator, the AquaLung Micron is one choice. Or Apeks Flight.

I don’t know about UK retailers but I’m seeing a lot of discounts on the recently discontinued older Microns. So that could be a good deal.

I’ve never used one but people do seem to like them.

I don’t know about UK retailers but I’m seeing a lot of discounts on the recently discontinued older Microns. So that could be a good deal.

I’ve never used one but people do seem to like them.

The difference is that the new one has the AL ACD. I know a number of people who are vacation only divers and love them.

Rental regulators always leave something desired for me. If I did have to pick 1, BC might move the needle for you more. It’ll also make figuring out weight easier as you’ll know where you’ll need it and how much given your familiarity with the BC.

Back
Top Bottom