Travel Rig Singles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roelf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Tobin,

I'm quite a newbie with less than 20 dives logged and I would ask you for advice on a travel rig for singles. For the moment I prefer warm to tropical salt water diving - no Drysuit... rig should be streamlined, lightweight and easy to pack for travelling as I have to get on a plane to reach a suitable dive spot:D

Took me lots of time to decide what I really might want, got confused and disappointed several times, but finally I found the DSS website and got hooked.

So here's what I came up with after studying your website. Hogarthian Harness, Large Kydex backplate, Torus 17/26/35 wing because I could use some extra lift at the hips. I'm 6'25 with 240 so what is your recommendation for backplate and wing?

Maybe I'm completely wrong and if you think I've overlooked something or so, just let me know. One last question is regarding weight(s). I don't think it an option taking a SS backplate on the plane so I guess I have to think about additional weight. Had 18 lbs with a conventional BC while diving on Bonaire and expect to come down further this year in Malta. Would you recommend a weight belt or weight pockets?

Thank you!

Hi Tobin,

I'm quite a newbie with less than 20 dives logged and I would ask you for advice on a travel rig for singles. For the moment I prefer warm to tropical salt water diving - no Drysuit... rig should be streamlined, lightweight and easy to pack for travelling as I have to get on a plane to reach a suitable dive spot:D

Took me lots of time to decide what I really might want, got confused and disappointed several times, but finally I found the DSS website and got hooked.

So here's what I came up with after studying your website. Hogarthian Harness, Large Kydex backplate, Torus 17/26/35 wing because I could use some extra lift at the hips. I'm 6'25 with 240 so what is your recommendation for backplate and wing?

Maybe I'm completely wrong and if you think I've overlooked something or so, just let me know. One last question is regarding weight(s). I don't think it an option taking a SS backplate on the plane so I guess I have to think about additional weight. Had 18 lbs with a conventional BC while diving on Bonaire and expect to come down further this year in Malta. Would you recommend a weight belt or weight pockets?

Thank you!

Roelf,

Wing selection is a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit, and in to some extent the cylinders you will be using.

I assume you are using al 80's and I'll assume your conventional BC was inherently positive by ~4 lbs.

With 18 lbs of lead +1 Regulator you had about 20 lbs of total ballast (things that don't float)

20 - 4 lbs (empty al 80) -4 lbs (inherent buoyancy of your current BC) = 12 lbs of suit buoyancy.

That's about right for a 5mm. If you are in a 3mm I'd guess you are a bit over weighted.

Your wing needs to meet two criteria; float your rig at the surface and compensate for a fully compressed wetsuit.

A large SS plate and Harness is about -7 lbs, a reg is -2 and a full al 80 is about -2.

That makes your rig about -11 with a full tank, and it will provide about 6 lbs of ballast with 500 psi in your bottle.

If your suit is indeed +12 then you need ~ 6 lbs in a belt.

I recommend the SS plate because you need ballast up over your buoyant lungs, this is particularly helpful with buoyant cylinders.

A large SS plate is only about 3.5 lbs heavier than a large Kydex, for travel weight. Keep in mind that it's very common for a BP&W, even when using a SS plate to be lighter for travel than many conventional BC's

If you use a kydex plate it only provides about 1 lbs of ballast, that means you will need another ~6 lb on your belt for a total of 12 lbs.

12 lbs on your belt + a buoyant tank up on your back is likley why you are now hips down, heads up.

So which wing?

If your rig is -11 with a full tank, and your suit is +12 you can use a very small wing. Our Torus 17 is fine.

The 17 stops being enough wing when or if you move to more buoyant suits.

Recap:

Large SS Plate
Hog harness
Torus 17 wing
(cambands and wedge blocks are included)

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom