Wanted Travel Wing (18-30lbs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sam.gillin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am looking for a travel wing with anywhere from 18-30lbs lift. Let me know what you have. Thanks

I highly recommend either the Dive Rite Voyager wing or the Edge-HOG 360 32lb Bungee wing. They both are rated at 32lbs of lift and are surprisingly similar in construction. I currently have both in my garage, I use the Dive Rite and my daughter uses the HOG.

Some may say that 32lbs is a bit much for a travel wing but for me the lift capacity provides extra versatility and security. I am comfortable using these wings as travel wings, and all around wings whether diving in tropical summer conditions in shorts and a t-shirt or in the winter in a drysuit. The extra security of the increase lift capacity ensures that if I need to perform a rescue or otherwise support a diver on the surface that I will have enough lift to do so while I sort the situation out.

If you believe that 32lbs of lift is too much then my next recommendation would be for you to look at the Dive Rite travel wing at 25lbs of lift or the HOG 360 23lb wing.

Both of the companies I mention make solid products, there are obviously other manufacturers products on the market but these are the ones that I have direct experience with and am very happy with the choices/purchases we have made.

-Z

Doh!!! just realized that this thread is in the classified section. Sorry...thats what I get for browsing and responding posts after clicking on "Recent Posts".

Perhaps there is something you find useful in my response above. or perhaps someone else may come across this thread and find it useful...hopefully.

Cheers,
-Z

Doh!!! just realized that this thread is in the classified section. Sorry...thats what I get for browsing and responding posts after clicking on "Recent Posts".

Perhaps there is something you find useful in my response above. or perhaps someone else may come across this thread and find it useful...hopefully.

Cheers,
-Z

That’s actually exactly what I’m looking for. I currently have a Hollis s38 lx but thinking that may be too much lift for tropical diving. I typically dive in a Hollis Neotek semi dry here at home in cold water with al80s but wondering if there’s something out there that’s ne a better “do it all wing”

Dive Gear Express (DGX) looks like they just changed the design of their singles wing. It used to be almost identical to the Dive Rite Travel wing but now it has 30lbs instead of 25lbs of lift and looks to be similar to the Apeks 30lb single tank wing.

DGX is known to put out quality products and they have great customer service as a manufacturer and retailer. Given the price point, if the design and lift capacity is appealing to you, this may be a viable option to consider.

I prefer the open "cross hair" design of the Dive Rite Travel and Voyager wings as it is much easier to thread/unthread cambands if I want to remove the wing from my backplate....the HOG wings I mentioned have slotted center panel designs like the DGX which is a bit of a hassle if you want or need to remove the wing frequently...which is recommended when traveling.

The HOG wings and the DGX wing have stabilizers built into the center panel to keep the tank from rolling on the back plate.....It comes across as a nice feature but I have never had a problem with at tank rolling on my Dive Rite wing that does not have this feature. What the stabilizers do come in handy for is helping to quickly ensure that the tank and backplate are lined up vertically properly together....again not a real big deal and I rarely have an issue with getting this perfect when setting my gear up without this feature.

Lots of really good products on the market. Find one in your price range and I have very little doubt that you will be unhappy.

Good luck and safe diving with whatever you choose/find.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom