traveling alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oravake

Reaction score
hi,

i am new here as well as in diving (got the cert. in August). This time wanted to merge vacation and diving, but... i do not have a buddy to travel with me, so here come the questions:

1. is it ok to go to the diving center alone and hope they find someone to u to dive with?

2. do the prices vary whether u are alone, pair or group?

3. sofar my target is Bali (have to check the tickets yet) - should i find one center and then count on them to see other places on the island and nearby or is it wiser/cheaper to change also the location to stay?

4. how many of u, divers, like to take trips to inner land as well? why i am asking -i like to have active vacation, only beach is not the goal, but taking wild trips alone is also not the best alternative. So - what can be the chances to find companions for other activites?

If the questions seem silly , sorry. I am new in this business and have not dived abroad yet. will be grateful also for suggestions who to turn to in Bali :)

I have travelled alone in Africa a couple of times. Every dive centre I dived with had no problem pairing me up. Sometimes we dived as a 3, sometimes I buddied with the DM other times there was a spare buddy. No problems. Price was always the same.

Usually after a dive we'd go for a drink and occasionally I'd head off to do other things (site seeing etc) with people I'd met diving.

I don't know mush about Bali but there is usually a benefit with staying with the same centre. These places get a lot of traveller 'passing through' but once you spend a bit of time with them and get to know the people then you might get to do more interesting things. The other side is that by moving around you might meet a better group of people.

one of the reasons I really got into diving is because a lot of places don't sting solo travellers. Been on a few trips where I have known no one else going - now I dive with some of them.....

Not been to Bali yet - look forward to the trip report....

Have a look at the Bali thread for more information about places to dive.

You may want to stay in a couple of different places. If you base yourself in one location and do day trips to other areas, you'll spend a lot of time travelling.

Zept

Thank u.

i have had my eye on that Bali thread. Useful info, so the trip alone does not seem so bad idea after all :)

Will keep my eyes open and try to put my experiance later i writing as well.

oravake

oravake once bubbled...
hi,

i am new here as well as in diving (got the cert. in August). This time wanted to merge vacation and diving, but... i do not have a buddy to travel with me, so here come the questions:

1. is it ok to go to the diving center alone and hope they find someone to u to dive with?

2. do the prices vary whether u are alone, pair or group?

3. sofar my target is Bali (have to check the tickets yet) - should i find one center and then count on them to see other places on the island and nearby or is it wiser/cheaper to change also the location to stay?

4. how many of u, divers, like to take trips to inner land as well? why i am asking -i like to have active vacation, only beach is not the goal, but taking wild trips alone is also not the best alternative. So - what can be the chances to find companions for other activites?
The only price I've had to pay for going alone is a single's supplement for accomodations. Incidentally, I've never had to pay this on a liveaboard.

I've also never had any difficulty meeting interesting people with whom to share a drink and mealtime conversation.

[/B]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom