Traveling to Belize in December 2021 - Covid Warning High Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamanorris1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone traveled for a diving trip to Belize this fall with the elevated Covid warning from the US travel agency? I would love to hear your experience with how safe you felt traveling to and back and your time there.

Hello, I was just there last week. There are curfews in place that we were told you don't want to break, but if you are going to dive, and not leaving the resort, you don't need to worry about them. For the most part in the resort people were not wearing masks, outside they were.

Needed recent Covid tests to enter, and needed another one to get back to the US, but neither were particularly burdensome. I am not familiar with the travel advisory, but we didn't have any issues, and never felt unsafe.

If, however, you're hope is that everyone around you in the resort will be masked up, this may not be the destination for you,

Hello, I was just there last week. There are curfews in place that we were told you don't want to break, but if you are going to dive, and not leaving the resort, you don't need to worry about them. For the most part in the resort people were not wearing masks, outside they were.

Needed recent Covid tests to enter, and needed another one to get back to the US, but neither were particularly burdensome. I am not familiar with the travel advisory, but we didn't have any issues, and never felt unsafe.

If, however, you're hope is that everyone around you in the resort will be masked up, this may not be the destination for you,
Hey, Thanks for your reply. I made reservations for December in August then I saw the level change. I am not worried when I get to the resort. Whether masking or not, the place I am going to I trust they will do all they can do to make it safe. I was more interested in changes in traveling in and out of the country because of the level change. The need for a Covid test coming in even if one is vaccinated seems to be the only real change. I have never been diving in Belize and am looking forward to the destination. Thanks!

And when you return to the US. A covid test is available at the airport. Results in 15 minutes.
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG

headed to caye caulker 12/30 to 1/9. I personally dont really pay to much mind to the travel warnings and i just recovered from covid so i'm not worried about that either. Curfew on the islands i belive is 10pm and masks even when outside. Where you headed?

headed to caye caulker 12/30 to 1/9. I personally dont really pay to much mind to the travel warnings and i just recovered from covid so i'm not worried about that either. Curfew on the islands i belive is 10pm and masks even when outside. Where you headed?
Hey Clevelandguy,

Thanks! I am taking the same approach. Be safe, watch where we go, and enjoy the trip and diving. Steve

1st week of Sept, San Pedro AC the curfew was 9:00PM and enforced. I didn't stay in a resort so don't know about on the grounds, but outside masks are required - though about half think masks are most effective when worn over chin/neck. No mask required when in a golf cart or eating/drinking. Most bars/restaurants check temp as you go in, and record your first name/temp. A fund-raiser for the children's hospital/clinic at Palapa Bar required, and checked, vax cards before allowing admission - no card no entry.

We went to Secret Beach a couple of times, and masks were far and away the exception rather than the rule...

Inbound to Belize: Rapid test within 48 hours, or PCR within 92 hours of departure. They check it and will pull you out of line if you don't have it. They did not check my vax card.

Outbound return to US: Rapid test required within 3 days of departure (check this, my memory is elderly). Easy to get at the test clinic at north end of airport. $75us, results in about 15 min or less.

Mask required at airports and on flights.

1st week of Sept, San Pedro AC the curfew was 9:00PM and enforced. I didn't stay in a resort so don't know about on the grounds, but outside masks are required - though about half think masks are most effective when worn over chin/neck. No mask required when in a golf cart or eating/drinking. Most bars/restaurants check temp as you go in, and record your first name/temp. A fund-raiser for the children's hospital/clinic at Palapa Bar required, and checked, vax cards before allowing admission - no card no entry.

We went to Secret Beach a couple of times, and masks were far and away the exception rather than the rule...

Inbound to Belize: Rapid test within 48 hours, or PCR within 92 hours of departure. They check it and will pull you out of line if you don't have it. They did not check my vax card.

Outbound return to US: Rapid test required within 3 days of departure (check this, my memory is elderly). Easy to get at the test clinic at north end of airport. $75us, results in about 15 min or less.

Mask required at airports and on flights.
Hey, Thanks for all the detail. This is helpful. Blessings, Steve

Hey Steve,

One last, somewhat fine point. I don't know if y'all plan to be out and about for dinner/drinks. If so keep in mind that the 9:00 curfew doesn't mean the restaurants/bars close at 9. Most close at 7-7:30 so their troops can close/clean and get home before 9:00. That got us one time.

Y'all have fun.

Hey Steve,

One last, somewhat fine point. I don't know if y'all plan to be out and about for dinner/drinks. If so keep in mind that the 9:00 curfew doesn't mean the restaurants/bars close at 9. Most close at 7-7:30 so their troops can close/clean and get home before 9:00. That got us one time.

Y'all have fun.
That's is detail but very helpful details. Thanks! We will have fun. Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom