Traveling to Belize in December 2021 - Covid Warning High Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came back from Belize a week ago and a lot of people were wearing masks most of the time outside. I don't know what the rules are for golf carts, but we were told we had to wear them. We wore them to make sure that we didn't get fined. We didn't stay out past 7:30 or so.

Staying at Ramon's we never wore them, though the staff usually did.

I came back from Belize a week ago and a lot of people were wearing masks most of the time outside. I don't know what the rules are for golf carts, but we were told we had to wear them. We wore them to make sure that we didn't get fined. We didn't stay out past 7:30 or so.

Staying at Ramon's we never wore them, though the staff usually did.
Thanks! I am staying at Ramon's as well. Good information. Steve

Thanks! I am staying at Ramon's as well. Good information. Steve
Ramon's was great, the staff were all great. Do either pay for all your dives by the day or go over everything at the end. My girlfriend and I went and she paid for her stuff and I mine. They made a couple of minor mistakes, as in a few bucks, but it took us a bit to figure it out. They charged her for nitrox when it was me who used it.

We did a mainland excursion as well, we went to the ruins, cave tubing, and the zoo. The tubing was the most interesting part.

I did one night dive, she didn't, I think it might have been the coolest dive I've ever done. It's only in 20-30 feet of water so we had a good hour. Saw squid, octopus, lots of rays, an eel. We didn't do the Blue Hole or any of the other distance dives and we were done by 1ish. We did go out to Secret Beach, not really sure it was worth it, but if you do go take bathing suits as you can eat/drink sitting on tables in the water. We liked the pizza at Pirate Pizza. The beers are cheap, but they are not the same size they are here, they use thicker bottles.

Ramon's was great, the staff were all great. Do either pay for all your dives by the day or go over everything at the end. My girlfriend and I went and she paid for her stuff and I mine. They made a couple of minor mistakes, as in a few bucks, but it took us a bit to figure it out. They charged her for nitrox when it was me who used it.

We did a mainland excursion as well, we went to the ruins, cave tubing, and the zoo. The tubing was the most interesting part.

I did one night dive, she didn't, I think it might have been the coolest dive I've ever done. It's only in 20-30 feet of water so we had a good hour. Saw squid, octopus, lots of rays, an eel. We didn't do the Blue Hole or any of the other distance dives and we were done by 1ish. We did go out to Secret Beach, not really sure it was worth it, but if you do go take bathing suits as you can eat/drink sitting on tables in the water. We liked the pizza at Pirate Pizza. The beers are cheap, but they are not the same size they are here, they use thicker bottles.
All this is great. Very helpful. Steve

Kenderson is right about secret beach. Its a long ride north on bad roads. We made a day of it on Sunday ("off" day for Belizean oriented businesses) and Wednesday (off day for tourist oriented businesses). We had a group of young daughters buddies, both locals and expats, both trips and had a large time.

unless you're going for "party at secret beach" I'd probably pass and hang at ramons beach. although it is interesting to see "island under deve!opment" areas on the ride out.

The cave tubing is indeed very cool. If I could only do one that would be it. Young daughter and I really enjoyed the Lamanai ruins too. The ruins tour comes in two flavors -bus/van to the ruins or boat ride down the river to the ruins. We did the boat ride and wished we had not. Turns a 1/2 day into an all day expedition - and we can do (long) river boat rides at home. But we did our land stuff In years past pre- and post-aggressor, I would guess different logistics than AC based.

as for as beer goes... If you want the local and cheapest order a "beer". You'll get a Belikin - the national beer of Belize. Landshark is pervasive and heineken is availab!e. Red stripe too, but I don't like it. Don't go looking for dogfish head or Pliny.

I didn't dive off AC. I did a week on Aggressor IV the week before visiting young daughter in San pedro. But I think I'd pass on the way out stuff - blue hole, half moon caye, long caye, etc. Its certainly worth doing but I just wouldn't do the long boat ride out and back. Aggressors for me.

Drop by and visit young daughter at her restaurant (not wednesday). She loves to talk and can help you with local knowledge/restaurants/shopping. Talk to her just right and she might take you into DFC (a real local neighborhood) for some really local vibe/food. I'll pm you if you wanna drop by and talk to her?

I was there in mid October. We were on Tueffe, an hour off shore. No on the resort wore masks, but virtually all staff interactions were open air. On the bus ride to the boat, our driver was pulled over and fined $500 Belizian. Their infection rates are comparable to US rates (on average, but getting premium medical care may be tougher. I spent $25 on supplemental health insurance, just to be safe.

I was there in mid October. We were on Tueffe, an hour off shore. No on the resort wore masks, but virtually all staff interactions were open air. On the bus ride to the boat, our driver was pulled over and fined $500 Belizian. Their rates are comparable to US rates (on average, but getting premium medical care may be tougher. I spent $25 on supplemental health insurance, just to be safe.
Hey CT-Rich, Thanks for the info. Steve

Hey Steve,

One last, somewhat fine point. I don't know if y'all plan to be out and about for dinner/drinks. If so keep in mind that the 9:00 curfew doesn't mean the restaurants/bars close at 9. Most close at 7-7:30 so their troops can close/clean and get home before 9:00. That got us one time.

Y'all have fun.
Was on Aggressor a couple weeks ago. Absolutely true. Radisson Fort George and all other restaurants around closed at 7:30-8:00 to allow for clean-up and to get the staff home by 9:00. Actually, the back gate to the Radisson was closed and locked at 8:00. They take the curfew seriously and the fines are steep. It's not the U.S.A.

Was on Aggressor a couple weeks ago. Absolutely true. Radisson Fort George and all other restaurants around closed at 7:30-8:00 to allow for clean-up and to get the staff home by 9:00. Actually, the back gate to the Radisson was closed and locked at 8:00. They take the curfew seriously and the fines are steep. It's not the U.S.A.
Yes, we will not be in Kansas anymore. Thanks for the heads ups. Steve

Just got back from the Belize Aggressor, as well as about a week of land travel. Everything was pretty smooth. Masks are enforced outside of resorts (and liveaboards). Inside it's pretty much up to you. I also never felt unsafe, although we were primarily with a local tour operator when on land (or in our hotel), so not super adventurous. People there are great, and happy to see visitors. To be honest the entry to Belize was much better organized than the re-entry to Canada. We were through covid/iimigration checks and checked into a domestic flight in less than 30 minutes in BZE.

EDIT: check with someone authoritative, but I understood the curfew had been extended to 11PM last week in Belize City, which makes things a bit easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom