Traveling with Equipment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carehughes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm traveling with my own diving equipment for the first time in a few weeks, and I would really like to pack my reg in my carry-on. I read the sticky about the TSA regulations (and it is a go for them), but I'm leaving from Canada and I cant find any info on their website about regulators specifically.
Also, is there anything else I should be keeping with me on the plane to avoid damage, loss, etc?? i.e. computer, and BC??
Thanks!!

I have had a first stage, which is the biggest piece of metal in a reg, in my carry-on and got a question from the TSA folks, but that was all. It is kind of different in the x-ray. I have a big roller bag and have been to Thailand and back a couple of times with BC, reg, fins and wetsuit in it and no damage. Computer should definitely go in the carry-on--comparatively small size and high cost.

In Phoenix, at Sky Harbor International, I was stopped by the TSA and had my regulators swabbed by their inspector. She said they couldn't xray the insides so she had to swab them for explosives.

That is the only place I have had my DiveCaddy filleted. In Hawaii, they have recognized SCUBA gear and let it pass. Same in Cancun, no inspections. I guess in Phoenix they are not familiar with SCUBA gear.

I'm traveling with my own diving equipment for the first time in a few weeks, and I would really like to pack my reg in my carry-on. I read the sticky about the TSA regulations (and it is a go for them), but I'm leaving from Canada and I cant find any info on their website about regulators specifically.
Also, is there anything else I should be keeping with me on the plane to avoid damage, loss, etc?? i.e. computer, and BC??
Thanks!!

I take all of my gear (with exception of pony bottle, small knife and emt shears) in a carry-on. This includes a Golem wing, 5 lb. ss plate, regs, computer, fins, 3 mm wet suit, booties, and mask. I have never had a problem doing this and learned after a trip to Dominica when my checked gear visited countries where I have never been. Also had to do my only CESA due to faulty rental gear and didn't see my own gear until I went through the airport on the way home. If my clothes go some place else I can handle the problem but I want my dive gear.

Last (and first) time I was travelling I went to Aberdeen airport the day before my trip, brought my reg. and my carry-on bag and showed it to the airport security. They said that was not a problem, which it wasn’t, I travelled the whole way to the Far East and back again without trouble.

Echo what has been said above...

I've traveled all over the world with all kinds of stuff (regs, can lights, computers, camera gear, etc) in carry-on and never had a problem.

In fact, coming back from Egypt I mistakenly ended up with a titanium dive knive, a z-knife, and a pair of trauma shears in my carry-on. No one in the Cairo airport even noticed, though the bag was x-ray'd and hand searched. (They were so busy with my can light.) I didn't even realize it until I got home! Kinda scary when you think about it.

:shakehead:

We've never had an issue with our regs, masks, computers in our carry-on. Once security wanted to see the computers working, but that was it. The bags are always hand searched and most of the time they know what scuba gear is.

I've even taken my DSS backplate in my carry-on, which ensures a hand search - but so far no problems.

Coming back we put regs, masks and backplate in checked luggage (as long as it is under the allowed weight).

Echo what has been said above...

I've traveled all over the world with all kinds of stuff (regs, can lights, computers, camera gear, etc) in carry-on and never had a problem.

In fact, coming back from Egypt I mistakenly ended up with a titanium dive knive, a z-knife, and a pair of trauma shears in my carry-on. No one in the Cairo airport even noticed, though the bag was x-ray'd and hand searched. (They were so busy with my can light.) I didn't even realize it until I got home! Kinda scary when you think about it.

:shakehead:

That's because they expect to see them in carry-ons! "Oh look Achmed another jihadi on his way to work!" Ok you can go.

Traveled to the Philippines and Caribbean from Florida with no problems. I usually carry on board my camera, underwater case and light. The rest I pack in the suitcase; regulator, prescription mask. Twice I've checked through to the final destination everything in a separate suitcase, fins, wetsuit, knife, etc. Just make sure it does not look like a dive suitcase.

We fly out of Phoenix withour gear two or three times per year and always put our regs, computers and my full face mask in our carry ons. Never been questioned or hand searched yet. TSA seems to be pretty familiar with diving equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom