Traveling with underwater camera equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaskip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I prepare for another long distance multi plane trip to my next dive destination I must admit that I am getting tired of cramming everything into my carry on bag. In fact, on a recent trip to the Philippines I had to beg just to board with my over weight 40 pound carry on. So, the alternative appears to be a hard case which I will have to check which frankly scares the hell out of me. I carry my 35mm dslr, underwater housing, 2 strobes. What suggestions might you have? Thanks in advance.

Not sure where you are going but you will have to consider weight restrictions and excess weight fees before deciding on a case.
As you mentioned about your Phils trip you had to beg for your overweight carry-on.
Most of the Asian rim countries, as well as other parts of the world, have a 7 kilo one item carry-on and a 20 kilo check-in limit regardless of number of bags.
Some airlines offer a sports package which includes dive gear. That may help by diverting more of the weight to your camera gear.

Carry some of the equipment on your body. A Domke vest will help you do that.

What Ill be doing for my next flight is this;
535690_513807845343793_1667706036_n.jpg
Yeah, Ill have to pay for an extra suitcase, but I dont give a damn. I just want to bring the equipment I paid a lot of money for in a safe manner..

I'm a lone voice here, I know, but this is what I do.

I pack the essentials to get me in the water when I land - that's my housing, one body, one port, Subsea, one lens, the strobes/arms/cords and my dive computer (just coz it fits, not coz it's an essential), relevant batteries & whatever else fits - in my carryon. Not one of those massive ones that look like you've packed for a year long trip or that take three people to cram into an overhead bin. I use a Canon backpack (about $35 online) and put it inside a small roll-a-board. Only the arms ride outside the backpack in the carryon, everything else snugs up safely in the backpack itself. If need be, I can take the backpack out and use that as my "other" carryon. Knock wood, it hasn't been weighed in years coz it ain't makin the 7kg limit :) But it LOOKS pretty light & compact, which I think helps a lot.

Everything dive and all other bits like other ports, lenses, etc gets checked.

From here I get 20kgs max checked baggage plus the carryon. I can just do it all including head to toe dive gear, chargers, clothes, misc rubbish one takes along for just under 20kgs.

I've found some of the places with low carryon limits (Philippines Air specifically comes to mind) they will weigh things that look like luggage, like any kind of rollaboard, but tend not to weigh reasonably sized backpacks. You could keep it on your back like it was part of you and pretend it wasn't there, and they would too. Everyone was doing this. My husband has one of the camera backpacks with the padded dividers you can move around, not too big but he can fit his SLR, large housing, 2 ports, lenses, 2 strobes, and assorted other stuff and he's always been able to keep it. He checks some heavy/non-fragile things like strobe arms. (The drawback to a backpack is, if they won't let him take it, it's quite unsuitable to check so he'd be SOL. So you want to do your research and feel pretty confident this will be ok.) Another thing we discovered on PA, if they ask if you have a laptop in a bag that is a overweight the correct answer is "yes" no matter what. It seemed like they figured people would have laptops, and there was no way you could keep under the ridiculous weight limit with one, and they couldn't possibly expect you to check it, so there was a sort of unwritten laptop allowance.

Another thing you can do is have a strap on the camera so you can hang it around your neck. You can even take it out of the bag, hang it around your neck while they weigh the bag, then put it right back in the bag and they may be fine with it. When that didn't work once for someone I know they handed their camera to a friend in full sight, then took it back and put it back in the bag after weighing and that was ok, silly as it seems. The vest idea can work too, you could even just wear one as a backup plan and put stuff in it if you need to, if you're anyplace where the "as long as you're wearing it it's ok" trick works.

Naturally, it is important to perfect the art of carrying a heavy bag while making it look like a feather, and also cultivate the proper "this is not the bag you're looking for" jedi attitude. :) And watch what's going on with other people as you get there. Maybe even choose a line based on that. Sometimes these things will help.

If it doesn't look like my husband can get away with the camera backpack, he has a old samsonite hard rollaboard bag outfitted with pick and pluck foam that he has checked with no problems. (But then there was the hotel valet that perched it on the tippy top of a luggage cart then took the corner out of the elevator too fast. Camera case almost wiped out a lamp and table. Fortunately I happened to be there to see this or he probably wouldn't have owned up to it, but the hotel wound up replacing a whole set of glass filters because he broke one. Also fortunate we were in a place where you could buy such things.)

I follow Alcina's technique. Just enough to be able to dive and shoot some pics but not so much where it's obvious your carry on might be overweight.

I too use a small super light rolling bag (XS Scuba, not even made anymore I think) and can get my Ikelite SLR housing, a port and bendy arms with DUAL Ikelite DS51 units and cords, etc in it. Plus an Rx mask and wrist dive computer. Spare clothes and a swim suit, rash guard and flip flops complete it in a super lightweight soft gym bag containing my Canon T4i and some lens(es).

My planning means I can dive and be comfortable for at least 2 days renting whatever else I need.

I've never gone the vest / wearing things route and advise on keeping a low profile as alcina and Damselfish recommend. Asian airlines leaving from the west US or Canadian coasts sometimes will watch and check out your carry ons even after checking in. But as many have said if it LOOKS small and light many times you're home free :)

I also check one BAG with dive gear, clothes and a few more UW photo back up items, parts etc. less than 50 Lbs. My observation is 99% of people bring stuff they never use and it can make a trip miserable in my opinion..........

All dive resorts (especially Philippines where I'm headed back for the 3rd year) have laundry service dirt cheap nor do you need to dress up at most places. A clean t-shirt and shorts with flip flops IS dressing up!

It just requires people forgoing a certain mind set and keeping travel simple :)

YMMV

David Haas
www.haasiamges.com

Attachments

• IMG_7807.jpg
    IMG_7807.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 435
I appreciate the feedback and great ideas. I would love to take the same route of tigerman but i am just so freaked out about the equipment getting stolen or flown to the wrong destination, especially since I have made the switch to live aboards whenever possible. I believe I will be purchasing a vest and thanks to all of you modifying what I have been doing. Again, thank you. scubaskip

I
I also check one BAG with dive gear, clothes and a few more UW photo back up items, parts etc. less than 50 Lbs. My observation is 99% of people bring stuff they never use and it can make a trip miserable in my opinion..........

All dive resorts (especially Philippines where I'm headed back for the 3rd year) have laundry service dirt cheap nor do you need to dress up at most places. A clean t-shirt and shorts with flip flops IS dressing up!

It just requires people forgoing a certain mind set and keeping travel simple :)

YMMV

David Haas
www.haasiamges.com
My thinking is - what do I HAVE to have if I go for two weeks of tropical diving? The answer is some underpants, a couple of t-shirts and shorts/jammers (or god forbid speedos) and my dive gear..
Its not like I need 3 outfits each day, I use only two - the dive gear and the pub t-shirt :p

I haul an Ikelite housing, 5" domeport/shade, DS 161 strobes, sync cords, and chargers in a single pelican case. It's well over the carry on weight, but it's the exact dimensions on the max size of carry on for most places in the world. I have never had a problem carrying it on board. Ive only once been told that it was overweight, but after explaining the contents they have no problem with me carring the case on board. I bought the case with movable padded dividers, it's much better than the option of pick and pluck foam. The model is 1510. Here is a link: Pelican Products 1510 Carry On Case

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom