Traveling with Vytec Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't resist responding to this kind of question because (on direct flights) I always do the unthinkable:

I pack all my gear in a roller duffle bag and check it all in!

I have my own 'system' of packing to cushion the less sturdy items and after at least 25 - 30 flights I've had absolutely no problems. I think those old samsonite commercials with the gorillas jumping on the luggage have had too much of an effect on people! I agree that this is life support equipment but it is also pretty rugged stuff. The one thing that I sometimes bring on board is my computer, mostly because it is small enough to tuck into my pocket.

I travel alot and I HATE to carry heavy bags all over the airports, if I can't fit it all into my carry on - I'm gonna check it in!

This thread is making me paranoid about travelling to Cozumel with my gear in a carry on bag.

If I keep my gear with me could the baggage inspectors say my computer or regulator could be used as a weapon and not let me take it on board or confiscate it from me?

Texas Diver:
This thread is making me paranoid about travelling to Cozumel with my gear in a carry on bag.

If I keep my gear with me could the baggage inspectors say my computer or regulator could be used as a weapon and not let me take it on board or confiscate it from me?
Then you friendly refer them to the TSA regulations that state clearly that it is allowed to carry those items on board.

Mgnau:
I'm confused. How is it possible to get all dive gear in a 22X14X9
bag? I could not get my BCD alone in one. And yes, I did deflate. I'm going to carry on my reg,computer and mask. the rest will be checked in. Pray for me. Going to the Caymans Sat.

This is one of the reasons I went with a BP/W. The plate and harness packs very flat. I then pack the wing, fins, mask etc. along with the plate in my carryon. I pack my regulator bag, wetsuit etc. in a computer type backpack I have. Everything for diving is in 1 carryon and the backpack (2nd carryon). I then check another bag with my clothes and scuba tools. Can be done but I imagine it would be tough with the bulk of a jacket BC. The backpack is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom