Treading water for 10 minutes - how hard can it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My view was it's not a test, is a simple lesson...
Exactly. Anyone can float if taught the basics. BTW, tilting the head back teaches then more that one thing. It teaches them to relax and the more of their head that's submerged, the more buoyant they become - to a point :wink:

Exactly. Anyone can float if taught the basics. BTW, tilting the head back teaches then more that one thing. It teaches them to relax and the more of their head that's submerged, the more buoyant they become - to a point :wink:

I've frustrated more than one swimming teacher. I've done the "drown proof" training. I simply don't float.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just did this test not long ago. I'm 5'11", 160lbs, I've got some fat on me. Yet, in fresh water, holding a full breath, down to the bottom I go. IMO, I'm very comfortable in the water (my favorite time to swim in the ocean is when the red flags go up on the beach). In salt water I feel neutrally buoyant, maybe a little positive. Oh well--at least I get to wear less weight.

I'm 6'3" @210 lb.s about 10%-12% Bodyfat. I noticed when I'm not as lean swimming is a lot easier as I tend to float more. In my Certification test I swam twice the required distance but when it came time to tread water I tended to sink , I had to keep moving to stay above water.
I recently went to BP/W set up to get more weight off my waist and it really helped to keep my legs from sinking,great vertical now.

I LOVE the water, I am very comfortable in the water. It is not a comfortable thing, not a knowing how thing, not a relaxing thing; it is a sinking turd thing - I simply, absolutely, positively do not float. My LDS has a 14foot pool, come on down one day and I will happily demonstrate this. Rick's Dive and Travel, North Little Rock, AR.

There's a difference between thread and float. Some agencies label the 10 minute thread as a survival swim, but even then I think swim means making movement to keep your airway out of the water constantly. If that means making forward, backward, or sideways progress then so be it.

Students who can't swim to keep their airway out of the water and have to rely more on floating should rethink their water fitness and try to work on that before taking scuba IMO.

When I taught swim lessons to kids 2-14, we had 6 levels.
Level 1 was basic introductions, teaching kids to float, hold their breath, bob. Basically teach them to not inhale water. Ages usually ranged from 2-10. Usually past the age of 8 my team was passing kids through each level after a 2 wk group session (4:1 student:instructor ratio) or 1 wk private session.

By level 4 we were asking kids to thread water for 10 minutes. Usually we had ages 8-12 in that range. Also in my opinion, skinny 10 year olds sink better than most adults. If they can do it, I think any fully mobile adult can.

As reference, Level 5 was advance stroke introduction; teaching freestyle, breast stroke, flip turns, surface dives, side breathing etc etc (basically olympic strokes and some skin skills)
Level 6 was stroke refinement; entering the realm of competitive swimming techniques, 500yd swims etc etc.

Usually kids weren't held back until Level 5.

Last edited:
I always thought treading water involved skulking and keeping the head up. Floating is more drown proofing?
i can float all day, treading water is tiring.
Have to do it tomorrow for the DM test, dreading the part with the hands held above water.

I sink with a full breath, with my hands stretched out, my fingertips are a good 30cm below the waterline.

I'm ever-so slightly negative with my 3/2mm shorty, to the extent of a small breath will make me neutral.

But then again, I'm asian and in my experience, asians tend to sink.

We are way off course here.

THE POINT THOUGH IF YOU RELAX AND USE SOME TECHNIQUE, THE ENERGY REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN YOUR AIRWAY IN CALM WATER IS MINIMAL, EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT.

Panic kills you the quickest in the water. Exposure to extreme cold next. Not being able to breath should be way down on the list, even if you are a freak of nature (a sinker).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom