Triangle divers boat up in flames...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Damn. I enjoyed diving with Graham. I hope that he can recover.

$350,000 dive boat burns up during storm::

By Robyn Skinner
The owner of a dive boat watched as his livelihood went up in flames yesterday.

Graham Maddocks said the vessel is now a complete write-off it was worth almost $350,000.

The owner and operator of Triangle Diving said the 45-foot boat was fine when he last checked it around 8 a.m. yesterday morning.

According to eyewitnesses the boat caught on fire just before 10 a.m. Bermuda Fire and Rescue Services responded to a call around 10.30 a.m. in the midst of hurricane force winds that caused the Causeway's closure.

The boat was moored at nearby Grotto Bay Beach Resort.

Three fire trucks, three support vehicles and 15 personnel arrived at 10.45 a.m. and spent the next five hours struggling against wind, rain and tricky boat construction to extinguish the fire.

Last night Mr. Maddocks said he was in shock over the loss. The veteran diver said it would cost him at least $350,000 to replace his six-year-old boat with a custom-built boat from the US the cost would not cover the GPS equipment and dive gear that had been on-board.

He said: "We haven't been diving, but it is checked every day. Late yesterday [Wednesday] I went to check it and everything was OK. We checked on it at 8 a.m. today (Thursday) and it was fine.

"It was in perfect condition. It was such a big boat and all customised. You cannot replace it. We spent a bundle on her.

"I am just sitting here down at the dive shop and it's just... We are looking at the photos. It was just such a beautiful boat.

"I don't know what I'm going to do. I am going to wait for the Police to come back. I'm going to sit down with my family for a few moments and figure out what to do.

"And I will have to see what the insurance comes up with. We were a very popular dive shop so there will be a lot of upset visitors and locals."

Firefighters used synthetic foam rather than water to extinguish the flames because of the diesel fuel on board and the fibreglass construction.

Two firefighters in breathing apparatus attacked the fire from the dock.

Despite his loss, Mr. Maddocks was full of praise for both the Police and the Fire Service, who he said were incredibly helpful.

"They [the Fire Service] fought from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. It was freezing and those guys were crawling through all sorts of things.

"The Police in St. David's have been really helpful too. I cannot express how friendly and helpful the community has been and I just want to say a big thank you."

The Fire Department said a full investigation will be conducted. It is not believed that weather played a part in the fire's ignition.

Said a spokesperson: "Crews worked tirelessly and did an excellent job in bringing the fire under total control after five hours."

So sorry for you i dove with you guys last summer she was a great boat

gb

That really sucks. I have to say 45 minutes is a terrible response time for the Fire Department.

I dove with Graham a few years back, he's a good guy.

Sorry about the boat but isn't that what insurance is for?

My vision care practice burned down over 10 years ago. At the time I was devastated...now I've got a brand new building, in a much more visible location and we're doing much better now as a result.

If only I knew at the time that I'd be in so much better shape I would have had a better time of it. I hope Graham sees this as an opportunity to rebuild bigger and better rather than an unsurmountable disaster.

I don't believe that "Things happen for a reason", however even the worst disasters can present opportunities if they are approached with the proper mindset.

One of The reason the fire department was slow to respond was due to hurricane force winds reaking havoc on the island. The causeway (A main bridge to the east end of the island) was closed down as well due to high surf conditions. The roads had downed tree limbs and other debris making it difficult to get any where.
There still hasn't been any updates here though on the cause of the blaze I've been keeping an eye on the news when I can grab a paper. Its a tough time but I do not belive the insurance covers the entire cost of the boat which is sad but hopefully they can get a replacement boat in time for the new season. I wish them the best.

Any word on when Triangle will be up and running? Have not seen anything on their website. Thanks. TK

Please keep us updated. I am on the way down their in may.I talked to Stephen last week and he said all is well, and will be looking to for us to dive with them.

Jim

Are you planning to dive with Triangle?

M

yes i am. i was planning to set up dives prior to getting down their

Back
Top Bottom