Tricks for reaching valves and manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have an itemized list, but $1,000 was a rough estimate for a side mount BC and rigging.

---------- Post added November 8th, 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

Never turn a valve on all the way. Turn the valve fully open, and then back 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Then the open valve will turn either direction easily. A valve should only be turned fully to the closed position. You don't want to force the valve, in either direction, or accidentally loosen a reg from an open valve.

Never turn a valve on all the way. Turn the valve fully open, and then back 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Then the open valve will turn either direction easily. A valve should only be turned fully to the closed position. You don't want to force the valve, in either direction, or accidentally loosen a reg from an open valve.

Ah, yes. That old chestnut... Was ostensibly true years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and valve cores were soft and would potentially jam if opened too hard

In the present day and age, there are only two acceptable positions for a scuba valve:

1.) All the way closed.
2.) All the way opened.

If a valve is part-way open (which is also "part way closed" by the way) you can't tell it's status by turning it a little one way or the other. In the haste to close (or open) a valve that is giving you problems this can lead to confusion and potentially worsening of a situation.

If a valve is all the way closed (or all the way opened) there can be no doubt as to which way to turn it in order to reverse it's current condition.

This statement has no place in the technical diving forum. Leave it in Basic Scuba with a high-five and all the other nonsense... :wink:

I can move the bands a little bit, but I'm on the top hole of the plate.

This might be your problem. Just like people mentioned having the bands right at the break of the neck, which you can find using a straight edge (ruler or something), and having your harness not too tight, you can move the doubles to the middle or bottom hole. I'd try middle first.

Just as moving the bands down actually moves the manifold further from your hands, position on the BP has the same affect on reaching it.

I also personally like to dip the isolator toward my head. It gives me a little less room to look up, but my hand immediately finds it behind my head with no straining.

Hopefully you have an opportunity to try this out before your class is over.

I'm halfway done with Tec 40 after completing dive 1 and 2 yesterday and felt comfortable with all exercises EXCEPT for valve shutdown drills. I'm not very flexible, and with some effort can reach the right post and manifold, but just can't reach the left valve without a LOT of effort... loosening the buckle and crotch strap by a few inches and moving to a VERY head down attitude and its still a struggle.

Are there any tricks for this? Considering I'm still using rental gear (not in a position to invest in my own doubles or BP/W yet), what can I do? I can move the bands a little bit, but I'm on the top hole of the plate. I'm diving in a drysuit and don't feel that its constricting me, just my muscles/tendons preventing me from going all the way.

Are there any recommended stretches? Tricks? Tips?
This has probably already been mentioned, but the best trick or tip is to split up your tanks if you have already bought them, sell your manifold and bands (if you can or just take them to the recycle/scrap yard) and just go sidemount (SM). If you still are shopping for gear, don't bother with back mounted (BM) doubles and just get a SM rig. Better trim, balance, and freedom of movement plus you can see and get to your valves quite easily. That is what I did after trying sidemount. I have been trying to sell off my BM wings and hardware with limited success (I wonder why?) for the past 2 years. That crap about losing half your gas with a reg failure in SM is truly just that! I just don't understand why people still insist on diving BM doubles but that is changing now. Not much, if anything, needs to be done in BM doubles that can't be done in SM, plus SM is soooo much more user friendly.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom