Tricks of the trade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Something that I haven't seen on this board that would be very beneficial with the plethora of knowledge available here are the numerous tricks of the trade that we all use every time we go diving. Share some of your personal favorites now.

I use a hand sprayer that is commonly used for spraying insecticides for spraying off my gear after a dive. I fill it with fresh water; it works great for spraying off the salt and silt.

I also have two dive bags/containers. I purchased a rather large-96 quart-storage container equipt with wheels. To go diving, I put by dive bag with all of my gear in the container. It's so much easier to move the gear around with wheels. After the dive when everything's wet, I put the wet gear in the plastic storage container, and the dry or fragile gear gets put back into the dive bag. It's very neat and tidy. You can also go one step further by filling the storage container with fresh water so it will be rinsing your gear on the way home. You can also add "sink-the-stink" or conditioners to the water to help keep your gear in good condition as you feel necessary. When you get home, its rinsed. You won't have to spend an extra hour in the shower cleaning your gear. Plus, if you ever have to leave your dive gear in your car/truck, the chance of somebody overlooking a storage container is a lot better that the same person overlooking a sweet looking dive bag.

Well, I'm a little to new to diving to really have a set of tricks yet but I definately have one!

I have a terrible time with fogging (and yes the lenses are well toothpasted :wink: ) even diving specific defog products don't seem to last long for me.

I learned to skii before I learned to scuba and fogging is an issue with their masks also. So I figured if my Skiing defog stuff works so well onthe mountain why not try it in the water?

I use a product called "Cat Crap" Commonly available in any skii pro-shop around the country. Its a Wax (rub on then wipe off with a tissue) and lasts up to 2 hours even with repeated mask floodings since it doesnt jsut wash off. A final bonus with it is that since Skii masks are so fragil and prone to scratches this stuff is 100% non-abrasive as compared to some of the diving defog waxes.

Just my little tip.

SpyderTek

that would be:
1) never hold your breath
2) always look cool
3) neat tricks are never explained

1) except diving near Warhammer

2) even if you haven't a clue

3) telling takes the small joy of watching someone else work harder instead of smarter

SpyderTek,
Cruise by your LDS and buy a bottle of 5000 PSI, BEST defogger I've ever used. One application per day is usually all I need. Check it out. :tree:Bob.

Just remember green is clean!:devilish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom