Trigger Fish Behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortlock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Almost anyone who has done a fair amount of diving in tropical waters will have had run ins with trigger fish at some point. I once had one basically knock its self unconcious when it headbutted my tank! :)

I think they're really beautiful fish though and would like to observe them more closely and hopefully get some nice up close photos.

Could anyone give me some info on trigger fish behaviour that could help me to safely get close to these creatures?

Thanks for your help,

pretend you're not a diver!

You can approach them quite easily for most of the year. Don't try to get close to them when they lay out spawn - which is - at least in my part of the world - in August. During this time they are very aggressive - not dangerous but aggressive. I don't know why but they are mainly against diver's fins - mine have marks left by blue trigger.
But a month ago in Egypt we saw schools of triggers and could have a very close look at them.
Mania

Come to Okinawa, we have lots of Triggers and they are not agressive here. Don't know why but have never had problems here like in Thailand and other places with them being agressive. Have seen it happen once or twice in 10 years here but its rare.

I agree with Mania, triggers are only real agressive when they are spawning. Where in Egypt Mania?

mania:
You can approach them quite easily for most of the year. Don't try to get close to them when they lay out spawn - which is - at least in my part of the world - in August. During this time they are very aggressive - not dangerous but aggressive. I don't know why but they are mainly against diver's fins - mine have marks left by blue trigger.
But a month ago in Egypt we saw schools of triggers and could have a very close look at them.
Mania
:06:

Did a dive on a dive site renowned with local instructors as being risky for trigger attacks at any point, not just near nests. I was learning to use a rebreather and a trigger just went straight past me and attacked the instructor teaching me who was using open circuit, maybe they're less bothered by divers using rebreathers??

Winton:
I agree with Mania, triggers are only real agressive when they are spawning. Where in Egypt Mania?

:06:
The one that attacked me was in Sharm. Two weeks ago - also in Sharm (Ras Gaslani) - it was for the first time in my life that I saw a real school of triggers - and most of them were small. Blue triggers on a mass scale - it looked wonderful!!!!
Mania

Try taking photos at night when they are asleep.

Triggerfish are found throughout the red sea, and are abundant in all areas dived in Egypt, but not all are a problem. The small redtoothed triggerfish are no problem at any time of year. The beautiful arabian picasso triggerfish is another species that is non aggressive, and definitely worth the attention of your camera.
The commonest large triggerfish in the red sea is the blue triggerfish, but again this can be approached with impunity outside of the breeding season. The only time you will have any problems is when a pair are guarding eggs. Typically, blue triggerfish will approach at speed, but may circle a few times just warning before attacking. I have been circled by these fish at very close range several times, but was immediately left alone as soon as I left the area.
That leaves the daddy of the bunch, the Titan triggerfish. At over 30 inches long, the largest triggerfish in the world. It is very common in certain areas around Sharm el Sheikh, and on Yolanda reef at Ras Mohamed, but again is found throughout the red sea. Out of season, it's a pussycat, and can be photographed at very close range very easily, but with eggs it's a very different story. It is hugely aggressive, will attack with little or no warning, and it has the teeth to back it up. Fins and wetsuits present no problem to a mouth that cracks open sea urchins for fun.
One useful thing to remember is that a triggerfish sees it's territory starting in a small area around its nest and rising to the surface of the water in an inverted pyramid shape, so the territory covers a much larger area nearer the surface. Many people make the mistake of swimming upwards to escape the wrath of the crazy fish that's trying to chew their fins off, but to the triggerfish it appears that you are getting further from leaving, and it will re-double it's efforts to persuade you. Stay low and swim horizontally. You should then be left alone quite quickly. On occasion, however, you will meet the odd specimen, blue or titan, that doesn't seem to have read the text-books, and they'll chase you all the way back to the boat. A bit scary, to say the least, but it will improve your finning skills!
David.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom