Trigger Fish Behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
now if only wives had a similar device that could be used to foretell their immediate behaviour...

:wink:
LOL. I think mine does - but I'm either too blind or too stupid to see it. Gimme a trigger fish any day!!

KimLeece:
LOL. I think mine does - but I'm either too blind or too stupid to see it. Gimme a trigger fish any day!!

you're both pretty brave! you might just offend 50% of all divers saying that ;o)

DORSETBOY:
you're both pretty brave! you might just offend 50% of all divers saying that ;o)
Well, I told my wife what I posted - she just laughed and said I was finally beginning to understand! As she's the one I have to deal with I'll settle for that.
A point of interest though - and true - we were diving in Tioman, Malasia (lots of trigger fish!!) and the DM had already warned everyone about them and made sure that everyone understood the hand signal warning for 'danger'. The DM spots a couple - warns the group - and begins to swim away from them - what does she do - she totally ignores him and swims towards them. When I asked her afterwards what the f**k she thought she had been doing - she said she just wanted to have a better look. :07:

KimLeece:
she totally ignores him and swims towards them. When I asked her afterwards what the f**k she thought she had been doing - she said she just wanted to have a better look. :07:

possibly a future contender for the 'Darwin Awards'?!!

Funnily enough when I was teaching an AOW course two female students decided to do much the same... they found it hilarious, not as much as I did though when the female joined it's mate in attacking them. lol.

OMG TRIGGER FISH ARE MY FAVORITE FISH IN THE WHOLE OCEAN. srry i cant really tell u any info but try typing in trigger fish on the www.google.com search engine.

ninjamuzo:
Here in Thailand it is only the Titans that attack divers and only in the nesting season. A nest looks like a small bomb crater in the sand. They seem to like yellow fins the most for some reason.

A note about their territory, it extends in a cone shape upwards from the nest so swimming upwards will have them follow you. The best way is to go down and away and they soon lose interest.

I once dropped down into a nesting group of about 12 Titan triggerfish and ended up aborting the dive. Yuo can tell when they are disturbed or ready to attack because theri trigger (the tiny fin on the top) rises vertical/ If this is down they will either ignore you or swim away.

Yep, my exwife and I were attacked by triggerfish in the Philippines. They come out of nowhere at a fast pace and will bite right through your wetsuit. The big green ones, which I believe were called Giant Triggerfish. It was in April I believe, nesting time. Mean buggers. Hank

David,
Since I've been recently chased by nesting Titan triggerfish in both Bali & Malaysia, thanks for the tip! I've always swum towards the surface....next time I'll stay LOW and let you know what happens!

diver janet:
David,
Since I've been recently chased by nesting Titan triggerfish in both Bali & Malaysia, thanks for the tip! I've always swum towards the surface....next time I'll stay LOW and let you know what happens!

watch out for the coral though, they seem to like nothing better than to chase you into a coral head.. smarts a bit :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom