trilobite ,cold water z- cutter ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their a different size. I just bought one last week. Love it!!!!! So easy to deploy and stow on your harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, that's unfortunate. Though I can't find stainless carpet blades anyway, only carbon, so it would be pointless anyway.

The Trilobite itself doesn't use stainless components, which is a bit of a shame for the price.
20140503_150515.jpg

I have been using a Trilobite for several years. been selling them for over a year. I have never seen on that looked like that. How are you rinsing and drying after dives? I don't oil mine in any way but after a day of diving I open it up, rinse with fresh water, and dry. Then once dried reassemble. Same as I do with all knives, lights, etc.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2014 at 09:17 AM ----------

Yes the blades are different by the way. And I have plenty of them in stock.

I wash with fresh water, usually a few dunks up and down, and I treat my gear with food grade silicone after any lengthy vacation before storage.

Do you think this is a knock-off, perhaps I should send it in to them. From my experience, it looks to me like the blade may be high quality stainless, but the fasteners are rusting.

Still cuts well, glad to hear my experience is a fluke, this is after only 45 dives/4 months.

My trilobite has a blade with about 40 dives on it all in saltwater. The hardware is rust free but there is a little rust on the blade near the body but thats because I dunk in in water and leave it unsheathed to air dry rather than take the time to dry it. The blade is still sharp and I routinely cut rope with it so I haven't needed the 20 blades I stocked up on expecting them to only last a few dives.

From the picture, it looks more like the blade is rusting, otherwise the majority of the rust should emanate from the screw heads. I would clean it up and not use the food based silicone used in the spray bottle as it is water based and diluted and may be holding water on the blade rather than letting it evaporate as in a normal rinse.

I'm a fan of the Trilobite. I treat it like crap and it works fine, no rust yet in almost a year.

Bob
--------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

I wash with fresh water, usually a few dunks up and down, and I treat my gear with food grade silicone after any lengthy vacation before storage.

Do you think this is a knock-off, perhaps I should send it in to them. From my experience, it looks to me like the blade may be high quality stainless, but the fasteners are rusting.

Still cuts well, glad to hear my experience is a fluke, this is after only 45 dives/4 months.

What Bob said. No need to oil. Just rinse and dry. Make sure everything is dry before reassembling it.

Mine all rusted too and I soak rinse and dry after every dive. I now do as a Jim suggested and actually take the blade out. It's not a big deal but I'd rather not have to do that. They say how wonderfully rust resistant their blades are. I have never had anything rust in my life of diving except trilobite blades. I think maybe they should advise Jim's cleaning routine in their blurb/on their website.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 04:05 AM ----------

Ok, maybe they don't say how wonderfully rust resistant their blades are, but to me seems implied...I'll go and stand in the corner.

"EEZYCUT TRILOBITE (440a) is known for its capacity to hold an extremely sharp edge, while having very good corrosive qualities."...

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 04:07 AM ----------

On a happier note, I ordered a harness mount pouch and they sent me some blades at no extra cost. Nice people.

i bought one during the winter months and am goinv diving for the first time this year with it so we will what it looks like come end of summer... hopefully nothing like chris evans, yikes

Back
Top Bottom