Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The need for cutting tools really varies with the location of the dive. As many of said, a Tril is cheap and easily carried. I have mine on a computer strap and have used it for cleaning up fishing line on reefs primarily. However, I once used it to cut a guy's shoulder strap who was basically drowning beside my boat. They're also great for cutting zip ties.

I also carry a 6" knife on my waist strap (or on my shoulder when I'm south.) I must confess, it mostly gets used for opening beer bottles and cutting kielbasa. It's also helpful for keeping my longhose under control (I don't use a can light).

Occasionally, I carry shears in a pocket, primarily on deep wrecks in Lake Erie. Those dives tend to be dark and fish nets aren't uncommon.

I guess the thing is that all three items are cheap, and the one time you need one of them, you'll be glad you have it.

<snip?

I guess the thing is that both items are cheap, and the one time you need one of them, you'll be glad you have it.

^^^ This.

To put it another way: If you do not have something to cut things away from yourself the first time you really do need it, you won't regret it for very long.

You will probably regret it for the rest of your life.

I have some vague recollection that the first "local" dive fatality that I paid attention to as a new diver, occurred in the Niagara River. The details are really fuzzy 40-something years later, but I think someone got the line from their dive flag/float tangled around a bridge pilling. The current is wicked strong in the River at times. The diver got tangled in the line as well, and that was the end of him. I suppose his buddy was 100 yards downstream before he realized this his friend was missing. It's hard chewing through a 3/16" poly line with a regulator in your mouth, no matter how motivated you are.

I use a BFK and a commercial fisherman’s serrated knife but just had a look at the trilobite and I can see how it could be very handy so I think I’ll treat myself and buy one

I just purchased one, and will carry it with me from now on. Hope to never need it but be good to have if ever needed

I use a BFK and a commercial fisherman’s serrated knife but just had a look at the trilobite and I can see how it could be very handy so I think I’ll treat myself and buy one

The serrated fisherman's knife, you mean like the steak-knife-like Victorinox? That's what we used on Salmon boats in AK. Super sharp!!

But do treat yourself to a Trilobite, you won't regret it

pissy little thing rusted away

shears cut braided stainless

The serrated fisherman's knife, you mean like the steak-knife-like Victorinox? That's what we used on Salmon boats in AK. Super sharp!!

But do treat yourself to a Trilobite, you won't regret it
That’s it Victorinox some edge on them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom