Trim issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad that you got everything straightened out.

I realize that how to achieve proper horizontal trim isn't part of the DMC curriculum...but you might want to ask your instructor about this. I would think that this kind of information would be covered in a Peak Performance Buoyancy course.

The issue of horizontal trim will invariably pop up at some point during a basic OW class. If you are the acting DM, it would be helpful to be able to answer the students' questions on the subject.

Bubbletrubble, you must have different instructors in SoCal. Where we are, most instructors have never heard the term "trim" or thought about it, let alone have any good tips for someone on how to make subtle changes in it.

Bubbletrubble, you must have different instructors in SoCal. Where we are, most instructors have never heard the term "trim" or thought about it, let alone have any good tips for someone on how to make subtle changes in it.
It was a long time ago, but I do recall asking my PADI instructor how I could be "flatter" in the water so that I could move through the water with less drag and not stir up the sand below. He explained the concept of trim (not sure what terminology he actually used), the effect of changing weight distribution on a person's rig, and the influence of body positioning. He was an excellent instructor. Unfortunately, he's no longer in the area. I think he applied to med schools, got in somewhere in the Midwest, and is now a practicing physician. :)

Isn't trim discussed in PPB classes? If it isn't, I'd be shocked.

FWIW, I haven't seen/heard of any PADI OW instructors currently teaching in the San Diego area who discuss the concept of trim. But then again, I'm basing this on what my friends (DMs) tell me who work for a couple of local shops in the area. Hardly a random sampling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom