Trim weight advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTheGalapagos

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a new back-inflate BCD and a better way to trim my existing one (Seaquest Libra) until I find THE new one. I saw a new Zeagle last week with weight pockets on the shoulder straps. I was very intriqued and wondered where you can find those pockets. I also wondered if anyone has any photos of how extra weight is attached to the tank valve. I've read that suggestion several times, but can't quite see how it's done. At BTS last week, I asked a couple of people and no one could tell me.

I'm looking for trim weight that isn't at my waist. My legs tend to sink, so I'm looking for upper body trim. The only thing I didn't like about the Zeagle is the trim weight on the lower cam band, thus my waist in back. This is apparently not interchangeable to the upper cam band. I like my BC a bit high on my tank, so single cam band trim weight is out of the question as I already seem to loose my tank sometimes. I think I prefer a double cam band in a new BC plus either a doughnut back inflate or a double dump on the U. Ladies BC, btw. Mens work sometimes, but typically, the sternum strap is too low and I hate being squeezed into a unibreast.

I'm in Ecuador, so trying on BCs is not an option. My closest LDS is 4 hours away and without much of a selection since we are very heavily taxed on import items.

Any suggestions or photos? Thanks.

You don't need a new BC. Just get a couple XS Scuba weight pockets

XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts

get the quick-attach type WB101QA so you don't have to remove the tank band. Just put them on the top tank band. Transfer some weight from your waist to the pockets until you're balanced.

Also make sure you're not diving overweighted. Carry the min amount of wt you need.

Adam

Last edited:
Try wrapping a 2.5# ankle weight around the base of the tank valve... Works wonders! :wink:

I also wondered if anyone has any photos of how extra weight is attached to the tank valve. I've read that suggestion several times, but can't quite see how it's done. At BTS last week, I asked a couple of people and no one could tell me.
A single ankle weight clipped around the tank valve will work. TGreene recommends a 2.5 lb. weight, but a smaller weight might work. You'd be surprised how little weight up top is necessary to correct head-up/feet-down trim. Remember to take off an equivalent amount of weight from your weight pockets if possible.
I'm looking for trim weight that isn't at my waist. My legs tend to sink, so I'm looking for upper body trim. The only thing I didn't like about the Zeagle is the trim weight on the lower cam band, thus my waist in back. This is apparently not interchangeable to the upper cam band. I like my BC a bit high on my tank, so single cam band trim weight is out of the question as I already seem to loose my tank sometimes. I think I prefer a double cam band in a new BC plus either a doughnut back inflate or a double dump on the U. Ladies BC, btw. Mens work sometimes, but typically, the sternum strap is too low and I hate being squeezed into a unibreast.
Part of the problem with positioning your BC "a bit high" on the tank is that this actually promotes head-up/feet-down trim. If you mount the BCD slightly lower on the tank, you'll probably trim out better. Shifting the BCD relative to the tank a little can go a long way.

The funny thing is that, if you are using AL80 tanks, you might find that your head-up/feet-down trim is partially corrected by the end of the dive. This occurs because, due to the buoyancy characteristics of the tank, the typical AL80 becomes "butt light" as the gas is drained and the tank approaches empty.

I use and like the XS Scuba trim weight pockets. I don't use the "Quick-attach" version. Instead, I have the pockets that slide onto the tank camband. To mount one or two of these pockets, you'll have to un-thread and re-thread the tank camband but the effort will be worth it. Mount two of these weight pockets on the upper tank camband.

I'm confident that, of these three suggestions (ankle weight around tank valve, mounting BCD slightly lower on the tank, XS Scuba weight pockets on upper tank camband), you'll find something that will work. You shouldn't have to buy a completely new BCD to address this issue. Be patient.

So will the ankle weights not move around and interfere with your regulator? Can you secure them somehow? We do a lot of vertical descents, so...??? Does weight mounted on the camband not pull or drag enough to worry about stretching the camband at depth? Can you put any weight on a rubber belt and attach that to the tank or a second cam band that isn't secured to the BCD? And have you seen the shoulder strap trim pockets?

Thanks guys.

So will the ankle weights not move around and interfere with your regulator? Can you secure them somehow? We do a lot of vertical descents, so...??? Does weight mounted on the camband not pull or drag enough to worry about stretching the camband at depth? Can you put any weight on a rubber belt and attach that to the tank or a second cam band that isn't secured to the BCD? And have you seen the shoulder strap trim pockets?
Ankle weights should not interfere with your regulator at all. Even with a vertical descent, your hoses attached to the first stage will prevent the weight from sliding up too much.
Weight mounted on the camband in no way causes any stretching or drag on the camband when under water.
Yes, a weight can be mounted anywhere along the tank using a rubber belt, harness webbing, or an unattached camband. I've seen all three methods used successfully.

I've never seen shoulder trim pockets in the wild. I wouldn't want to have any weights there on my rig if I could help it. YMMV.

That is the BC I have. There are trim pockets located on the upper back on each side of your BC. I can easily fit 4lb weights in mine. Have you tried redistributing some of your existing weight (from the weight pockets) and putting it in the trim pockets on the upper back instead?

I'm sure you have, as that is the simple solution.....but just in case....

Thanks guys.
The XS Scuba trim pockets have a fabric that wraps around the tank band and locks with velcro. It does not interfere at all and works well. I recommend the quick attach version.

If you happen to have ankle weights you can try that first around the tank neck. If not the trim pockets are a more flexible system.

Adam

I do use the trim pockets on the back and believe it or not, put 2 kilos in each. My legs still want to sink and I prefer not to work as hard at staying horizontal. I think I must have some weird center of gravity, so I'm trying to redistribute as high as possible to see if that helps. Will try lifting the BC on the tank a bit and adding the ankle weight to the tank valve if I can find them down here and will try the camband pockets...again, if I can find them here. Otherwise, can order from the US and see if someone coming in can bring down. Thanks so much to everyone for your help.

Bubbletrubble, thought about what you said about pockets on shoulder straps and you're probably right...might cause trouble with strap movement by pulling down, or at least be uncomfortable, no?

I do use the trim pockets on the back and believe it or not, put 2 kilos in each. My legs still want to sink and I prefer not to work as hard at staying horizontal. I think I must have some weird center of gravity, so I'm trying to redistribute as high as possible to see if that helps. Will try lifting the BC on the tank a bit and adding the ankle weight to the tank valve if I can find them down here and will try the camband pockets...again, if I can find them here. Otherwise, can order from the US and see if someone coming in can bring down. Thanks so much to everyone for your help.

Bubbletrubble, thought about what you said about pockets on shoulder straps and you're probably right...might cause trouble with strap movement by pulling down, or at least be uncomfortable, no?

I suspect you're diving overweighted. Can I ask you how much weight you're using and what kind of wetsuit and tank?

Adam

Back
Top Bottom