Trimix - TDI v IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_dumper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have got to a point where I am doing 200ft dives on air and getting well narked, so I guess it's about time to move onto Trimix.
Where I live it's a choice of TDI or IANTD anyone got anything to say about the pros and cons in the different courses that they both offer.

Not a lot to choose between the courses, as ever its the instructors who vary, speak to people who've done courses recently and see what they say, the qualifying agency is almost irrelevant.
It's several years since I did my trimix course and things have moved on since then, but ringing round the various intructors, what they taught you and where varied tremendously - some gave the impression that they hardly did any gas diving themselves.
I learned with John Thornton in Orkney, but that's a long way from London - Richie Stevenson from Deep Blue in Plymouth is good, not sure if he teaches himself still, but any instructor he uses will be good, Phil Hodson from Aberdeen Watersports I've watched teach, and would trust him.

rgds
Fi

the_dumper once bubbled...
I have got to a point where I am doing 200ft dives on air and getting well narked, so I guess it's about time to move onto Trimix.
Where I live it's a choice of TDI or IANTD anyone got anything to say about the pros and cons in the different courses that they both offer.

You can try contacting Joe Davin,
He teaches, Iantd, TDI and recently started ANDI programs. I did some work with him last may when I was doing instructor crossovers for the UK and he presented himself as a dedicated professional.

Of the three programs the ANDI trimix program is the most involved and has the most prerequisites..Depending on your qualifications he may be able to offer it otherwise you'll have to go with the TDI or IANTD programs.. The programs vary tremendously with the individual instructor and background. Its important to find an instrictor who actually does the type of diving you want to be trained on not just training dives with students. I have seen both top shelf programs as well as training I would send an enemy to from both agencies.. Get recomendations from people who have taken classes from the potential instructor if possible.

if you contact him tell him Joe R. from ANDI recommended him.

http://www.joediver.co.uk/contact.htm

:doctor:

Ask questions until you are satisfied, select an instructor you are comfortable with. Most instructors at this level teach more than one agency. TDI and IANTD are both good agencies. It boils down to the instructor.

but i agree that it's the instructor that makes the difference.

Until recently (like just before DEMA), IANTD limited their trimix qualification to 240 or 250 fsw, while TDI trained to 330fsw. With their revised standards, IANTD will qualify trimix divers to 330fsw, and even has something called expedition trimix to 400fsw.

In my experience, TDI standards allow more freedom for variance between instructors than do the IANTD standards.

I haven't seen the PADI trimix program, bit if the standards follow the Tec Deep program, they will be very prescriptive (that is, do this now, do that then). The depth limit for PADI is 245fsw.

geoff

dcsdiving once bubbled...
but i agree that it's the instructor that makes the difference.

Until recently (like just before DEMA), IANTD limited their trimix qualification to 240 or 250 fsw, while TDI trained to 330fsw. With their revised standards, IANTD will qualify trimix divers to 330fsw, and even has something called expedition trimix to 400fsw.

In my experience, TDI standards allow more freedom for variance between instructors than do the IANTD standards.

I haven't seen the PADI trimix program, bit if the standards follow the Tec Deep program, they will be very prescriptive (that is, do this now, do that then). The depth limit for PADI is 245fsw.

geoff

Since it's the skills that you are learning, which are essentially the same for all agencies, the actual depth for which you are 'qualified to' is an irrelevance, and therefore a red herring in choosing an instructor
By the time anyone starts to contemplate dives in the 300ft range a certificate gains you nothing - the required skills can only be learned over time and in water - dives of this type are (almost) always invitation only and rarely 'open' which will require you to have dived with the group before, and no-one is going to ask for a certificate.

A training depth limit of 330fsw (for example) allows dives to these depths withing the training course, under the supervision of an instructor. arguably an added measure of safety....

after the program is over, then divers will do what they want, whether they have the experience or not.

dcsdiving once bubbled...
A training depth limit of 330fsw (for example) allows dives to these depths withing the training course, under the supervision of an instructor. arguably an added measure of safety....

We're arguing about the difference between 250 and 330 ft - I don't know any instructor who would take an inexperienced gas diver on a 100m open water dive, nor would I be happy about being on a boat where it was going on.

Below 90ishm it takes more planning, thinking about what happens if someone comes off the line for any reason, run times of 2 or 3 hours etc - not for anyones early gas dives

What is important is the skills to give a good solid base to build up experience once qualified

flw once bubbled...

We're arguing

not sure i am arguing the point about basic skills. depth limits for training are maximums.

if my students aren't comfortable at the maximum depths in my classes we don't go there (not mix classes, since i'm not a mix instructor). i can still train them to standards and well without exposing them to the maximum depths. on the other hand, if they are comfortable, it's nice to have the latitude of going there with them.

making the decision to go to depth is something i do with my students, but if i'm not sure of their skills, we stay at the shallower end of training limits.

i'm not clear about the point of your initial reply. if you are saying don't go deep till you have the skills, i agree. if you're saying the depth allowed by standards in training is irrelevant, i disagree for reasons i've stated. if you're saying somethng else, i'm not clear about it.

I would definitely go IANTD. I am going through a IANTD Deco course at this moment and I am loving it. Living in Miami where the IANTD world headquarters is located is nice as well. We also have the DIR or GUE headquarters just 45 min north as well. I honestly don't know much about TDI but I do no that IANTD uses VPM decompression models for there tables and they recommend you use that one but they will teach you all of them. I have also purchased the Technical Diver Encyclopedia (this is the text book for all IANTD classes from Deco through full TRIMIX) and have found this a great reference guide. I would go IANTD all the way. Just my opinion, I am new to the tech world and I am sure that there are many better opinions out there than my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom