Trimix - TDI v IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken both IANTD and TDI courses and I'm an IANTD Advanced Nitrox instructor.

The Standards for the two trimix classes are similar. The max training depth in the IANTD class has been bumped up (I think it's 300 ft now). The IANTD standards can be viewed on there website.

I took the IANTD normoxic trimix class because of the instructor and I took the TDI advanced trimix class because of the instructor. If I ever took another class it'd be because of the instructor.

the_dumper once bubbled...
I have got to a point where I am doing 200ft dives on air and getting well narked, so I guess it's about time to move onto Trimix.
Where I live it's a choice of TDI or IANTD anyone got anything to say about the pros and cons in the different courses that they both offer.

I have friends who get narked at 80 ft and friends who seem perfectly normal at 185 ft on air.

The beautiful thing about helium in your mix is that you can mix your gas so that every dive is like a 100 ft dive, or even like an 85 ft dive if you like.

Here are some questions to put to your respective TDI and IANTD instructors to compare them:

1. Will we be diving with prescribed deco tables, or will we be allowed to use any deco tables or software programs of our choice?

2. What technical skills will we be practicing? (See how many he(she) mentions)

bubble checks
post drills
spare mask deployment
air sharing drills
silt-out procedures
deco bottle exchanging
gas switching stops
lift bag deployment
reel usage
spool usage
etc

3. What deco mixes will we use?

EAN36
EAN50
EAN80
100% O2

4. What trimixes will we use? (generally, the higher % He the better for a given planned depth)

Most of those skills are required in any trimix class as well as most other technical class starting with Advanced Nitrox (IANTD)

While you want an instructor who's thorough and doesn't skip any requirements I think you need more than that. I think it's important to have an instructor who has attitudes and philosophies as you do with respect to gasses, decompression, team diving or whatever is important to you. You also want some one who does it for real and doesn't just teach.

In the mix class that I just took the TDI required material was only a fraction of what the course covered. The instructor had several hours of his own material that was presented and discussed. I say discussed because he dives the same caves and wrecks that I do so there was a lot of discussion as apposed to lecture. Since he has plenty of experience in the environments that I dive and that I want to dive there was plenty to learn that had little to do with the text or course requirements. The dives were real dives (not bounce dives just to get the depth) and the team (students) planned, briefed, executed and debriefed the dives. Of course there were a few surprise drills thrown in here and there also.

The course is only as good as the instructor. Colt Ceek Diving in Newmarket offers TDI IANTD as well as the new DSAT Tri-Mix course. They will take care of you

Not sure if my Mrs would be to happy about me going to Canada to do a course.:)

But if they fancy coming to London...

It was a scan of print that I paid a small fortune for a few years ago, off a guy called Julian Calverley.
He now knocks them out in their hundreds check more of his work out here.
I bought a few more recently but the original signed one is my favourite.

d33ps1x
I know where there are thousands of them if you are ever in the UK:D .

Try Captain's Corner in Key West, Fla. I received my Advanced Nitrox thru a TDI course there. MY instructor was Bob Camus jr. He teaches both agencies and advanced trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom