Trimming a new transpac and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgl308

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently bought a Dive Rite Transpac with the REC EXP wing. I love the system and it's really comfortable. I'm planning on getting into tec diving and purchasing a set of doubles which is why I picked that wing. I'm looking for any advise for adjusting my trim. I'd like to be horizontal, but why I hover, my feet are always sinking. And I have the integrated weight pockets for the transpac. Any ideas??

I bought one years ago, dropped the pockets immediately in favor of a belt. Also took out the back pad, the shoulder pads, and all other removable parts to get it down to just the minimum configuration. Used it yesterday while teaching in open water.

I wear my weight belt above the TPac's waist belt and my trim is good but my weight is trapped. That might not be your preferred solution. The TPac's pockets were much too floppy and low-set for my tastes.

You can slide a weight pouch onto one or both of the tank bands and put weight in there to improve your trim.

Note also that I usually dive drysuited with steel tanks, but I've also used the TPac in warm water with AL80s and gotten good results. YMMV. Overweighted divers (not saying you're one of them) will tend to be more vertical in the water due to the offsetting air in the BC.

I would not use the TPac for doubles, though. I've trained in deco with doubles and a hard backplate and simpler harness is in my way of thinking the only way to fly doubled.

-Bryan

400px-Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg

I recently bought a Dive Rite Transpac with the REC EXP wing. I love the system and it's really comfortable. I'm planning on getting into tec diving and purchasing a set of doubles which is why I picked that wing. I'm looking for any advise for adjusting my trim. I'd like to be horizontal, but why I hover, my feet are always sinking. And I have the integrated weight pockets for the transpac. Any ideas??

If you're going to do double on the Transpac then it's probably better do it sidemount style. The soft plate is double do-able with adapter kit, but definitely not solid like a hard plate would be.

However, if you really want to trim out the Transpac, then along the sides there are a couple of small D-rings that you can attach Dive Rite trim weights to (DR doesn't make them any more but you can still find dealers with old stocks) or you can use the ankle weights and attach them to these D-rings for trimming purposes. Or put a weight pouch on the tank strap and throw some weight in it.

Back
Top Bottom