Trimming Seals, Do it yourself or not???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Great timing on this question for me. I'm planning on trimming back my neck seal a bit more tomorrow on my new DS, and I always end up with a ragged cut using the scissors. Thanks, Ken. I'll take a whack at your method.
Ugh! Scissors or blade, I'm just not good at this. Even going slow with the exacto knife, I still have an uneven edge.

Oh, well. No one notices anyway.

Dan Gibson:
Stretching seals over tanks and using a razor blade or exacto knife are really bad ideas. I have seen a neck seals split with this method.

Very sharp, long bladed scissors with one continuous cut is the best method. The wrists are easily done in one cut. The neck will take two or three.

It is always best to have another pair of hands to hold the seal together while the other person cuts. Don't stretch the seal, just hold it togther. I have heard of others using double sided tape to keep the seals line up properly.

I have to agree. I watched the shop I bought my dry suit from cut the seals stretched over a tank with a razor blade. Even the DUI manual said NOT to do it that way with latex. I told the guy that I read not to do it that way but he didn't listen. Well guess what, he split that seal wide open with the first cut of the razor blade. I wasn't there when he cut them the second time, but judging by the edges, he used scissors the 2nd time. He did claim that he had done it several times before...who knows...Good luck!

Related to this topic, On my DUI I trimmed the seals 2-3 rings smaller than the chart says without any ill affects. I read that here a few years ago, quite a good tip. I've had good luck with a sharp pair of scissors and a breath hold.

Rick Inman:
Ugh! Scissors or blade, I'm just not good at this. Even going slow with the exacto knife, I still have an uneven edge.

Well, aside from a rule 6 violation :wink: - the only thing that's a problem is a notch or " V " in the cut. Smooth variations aren't an issue, and will last a long time.

I've never heard that pulling it over a can and using a blade can rip it. Maybe if you stretch it over a Sparkletts bottle or something. I dunno. Been doing it this way for several years without issue.

Oh well. Rick - glad it worked out.

I was diving with someone from the board recently, and he rolls his Latex seals under. Swears by it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't see it. Latex, rolled under.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I've never heard that pulling it over a can and using a blade can rip it.
Over a can?? You mean you're not supposed to have it on?

That explains it. Gotta go to the hospital now...

eyebrow

I've been cutting my own cuffs and seals for years and years, and never ripped because of a little nick or not being EXACTLY right. Just watch to make sure you don't cut then restart leaving a little slit to start the tear.
Damn, it's just a neck seal not rocket science!

It generally happens when it is excessively stretched for the cut (i.e. over a tank).

No one around hear will do their own. I generally get elected to make the cut, but I force them to hold the seal together just so they experience the excitement of a possible screwup :wink:

Mo2vation:
I've never heard that pulling it over a can and using a blade can rip it. Maybe if you stretch it over a Sparkletts bottle or something. I dunno. Been doing it this way for several years without issue.

---
Ken

Rick Inman:
Great timing on this question for me. I'm planning on trimming back my neck seal a bit more tomorrow on my new DS, and I always end up with a ragged cut using the scissors. Thanks, Ken. I'll take a whack at your method.

Just to add to the confusion, I tried the knife method and hated it -- scissors every time for me. Get a really sharp pair and make as few cuts as possible (get long scissors)
And dont be too ambitious -- once you get it "close" leave it alone. The temptation to cut just a 1/2 more ring off can be costly.

Rick Inman:

as long as it keeps the ocean out and doesn't split, who cares, right ? :)

Whew, you're referring to dry suits. When I saw the thread title I thought you meant harbor seals. Never mind!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom