Trip advice: A diver and a non diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are planning our trip for next summer. Cozumel is on the list of possibilities. I will be diving daily but she does not. We want an all inclusive resort that is nice with good food in a good location.

Any recommendations for a resort that would likely please my wife and also myself as a diver?

Thanks!

Cozumel Palace would be high on any list....unless she needs a real beach.

My wife and I are planning our trip for next summer. Cozumel is on the list of possibilities. I will be diving daily but she does not. We want an all inclusive resort that is nice with good food in a good location.

Any recommendations for a resort that would likely please my wife and also myself as a diver?
I can second Cozumel Palace. However, if you'll be at an all-inclusive, "good location" might be in the south where the resorts are larger and have beaches. It's closer to the most popular reefs, so a shorter boat ride for you, and being larger, they offer more choices. Also, Cozumel Palace attracts lots of children and it's quite noisy, both from the outdoor shows and the loud corridors where you can hear people walking and talking - the doors offer little to no noise protection, though some report limited success with stuffing a towel to block the gap at the bottom.

Best option in Cozumel all inclusive resort | Cozumel Palace Mexico

On my June trip I'm trying Secrets for a change of pace and because I've tried all the Cozumel Palace restaurants several times each over two trips there. Secrets is adult only, has a large lagoon-like pool versus the smaller pools at Cozumel Palace, and the food sounds more interesting. Initial reviews were lousy as the resort was being converted, but it sounds like things have settled down a bit and recent reviews have been far more positive.

Secrets Resorts & Spas - Aura Cozumel

If you can wait until June, I'll write up a review and compare the two.

Palace is tops, but it is pretty pricey.

Park Royal gets my vote for best bang for the buck AI close to town with good food and great facilities. For $5 for the week you can use Aquaworlds dock to have your dive op pick you up. We were there in 2011, 12 and will be there July 2013. PM me if you want links to pics of the property.

We won't stay further south due to it being to costly to get to town as much as we do. I have a non diving spouse and AI is her must. I get to dive, she gets AI so she doesn't have to jack with paying for every little thing. Works out well. :)

I would also keep an eye on the Fiesta Americana. It is currently closed and undergoing a full remodel. Should be open by next summer, and should be a great option for AI still close to town with great location.

By next summer do you mean 2013 or 2014?

I love the Occidental Grand. It has a great beach, large pool (right off the beach) and Dive Palancar (on site dive operator) is great. They go out 4 times a day (9, 11, 1 & 3).
A taxi ride into or from town will cost you $20, so if going into town every night is important, then the South AI's may not be for you. I like the food at OG, but that is subjective.

What is your wife looking for in a resort?

The Grand is nice but if you want a little less money in the hotel try Allegro(next door to the Grand) and you can use either ProDive(onsite) or Dive Palancar will pick you up at the dock. ProDive had free Nitrox upgrade last time I was there and when you are diving 3-4 dives a day this upgrade really helped.
The Hotel also has a very nice beach and a bar with swings that is very relaxing.

get the MAP, so you know where ALL the hotels and resorts are located relative to town.

cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya

I recommend the Cozumel Map to EVERYONE who visits Cozumel. It is a map, but also a restaurant and dive shop guide, prices for taxi guide, tourist info guide, activity other than diving guide... everything a tourist needs for your vacation. I do not have any $$$ interest. This is a guide that was recommended to me after my first visit, 13 years ago. Still the best investment you can make for your trip.

robin

Great! Thanks! My wife wants a good pool and beach first and foremost but also rooms with a nice view. She doesn't care to much about going into town. She also wants good food and all inclusive. That's really it. She is going to take in the scenery, read, and lay in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom