Trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually do 2 days with the resort op and 3 or more days with Aldora

Gotta ask: why? What's the advantage of those 2 days with the resort op? My own sense is that there aren't many convincing reasons to use a resort op instead of one of the very good boutique ops on the island.

Gotta ask: why? What's the advantage of those 2 days with the resort op? My own sense is that there aren't many convincing reasons to use a resort op instead of one of the very good boutique ops on the island.

I agree whole heartedly. Besides that, there's a real downside to splitting time between dive ops - most ops will make decisions on dive sites based upon their personal observations of a diver's skills and ability, so on your first dive day you will be taken to the easier dive sites. Only after the DM sees for himself that you are capable of handling yourself will you be taken to any of the more advanced sites. If you dive 2 days with the Resort Dive Op, then switch to, say, Aldora or Blue XTSea, you are going to be starting over in terms of demonstrating that you are fit for the more advanced sites. Now if you don't want to do anything but the easier sites, and don't mind returning to the same sites that you just dove 2 days earlier, no problem.

not big on AI's, there are WAY too many great places to eat on the island ... but if you MUST ...

We've stayed at the Occidental Grand a few years ago (granted, a few years ago), beautiful grounds, very large rooms, with safes and BOTH a tub and shower ... I used to tub to rinse eq. daily. The food on the buffet's was very good, and not the same thing day-in and day-out. We only ate at one of the "reservation only" restaurants once, making reservations was a pain in the ass, you could only do it at a certain time of day, and that time of day was when we were on a boat diving.

Speaking of diving. The boat rides to the dive sites are very short, although most dive ops probably won't motor back up north very far, so some of the sites in the northern end of the Marine park will be off limits.

drawback is that it is sooooo far south from town, if you did want to venture in, cab far nowadays has to be over $20 each way. ... rent a car for a day or two and explore the island. and there is NO nightlife there to speak of. a nightclub, but there was never anything going on there, when we were there.

Closer to town: The newly remodeled Fiesta Americana ( still about a $8+cab ride to town) and El Cid La Ceiba, (walking distance i.e. 1 1/2 miles from town) and very close to town are the Cozumel Palace, and Hotel Cozumel, I think all offer AI packages.

wouldn't recommend Park Royal, haven't seen or heard much good about it. Could elaborate, but don't have the time, just not good.

I agree, unless you like the resort op. Almost all dive ops pick up at almost all hotel piers, there are a few exceptions for various reasons, but choosing a dive op because they are there on-site isn't a necessity ...

... having said that, we've been staying and dive with Blue Angel for nearly a dozen years, (before the resort was called Blue Angel), because we like the convenience of it all, and because it's a very good dive op, which may or may not be the case at all resorts.

My wife was looking at Hotel Playa Azulejo any info on this place

Hotel Playa Azulejo
In Veracruz or where? There is a Playa Azul Golf Scuba Spa Hotel in Cozumel, north of town. Or a cheap hotel named Agave Azul Cozumel Hotel downtown. It's Spanish for blue.

Last edited:
Playa Azul in Cozumel is one VERY nice Place. My wife and I go there frequently for GetAways!

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

If you are looking for something other than a hotel, I can highly recommend this condo. The condo is beautiful and is conveniently located south of town. Click on the picture to view the place. Add a rental car directly from the airport and drive yourself, take a right out of the airport and a left at the ocean, drive along the ocean til you get there.Beautiful oceanfront condo - Apartments for Rent in Cozumel

To the OP, I can only offer my experience. My wife does not dive. We have stayed on the island three times. The first two in AI. The first one was long ago--Club Cozumel Caribe. Our thoughts were so so on the food, but everything else was amazing. The second stay was at Fiesta Americana, just a couple years ago. It was amazing--including the food. (And yes, i have eaten at the local restaurants too.). To this day, I cherish the memory of eating a great breakfast buffet under their huge beach palapa, and watching the Aldora Divers boat approaching our dock for a very quick ride out to the reefs.

At both of those spots, the wife was very happy to enjoy the AI during my diving, and we ventured about when I got back. Our next trip is coming up, and we are staying at a gorgeoous condo we found on VRBO. It has most of the anenities of an AI, but not the restaurants. The bottom line is that you will have a great time if somehow, your wife enjoys her sleep time of fun time while you are 100' under. Good luck and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom