Trip Report, 1/26/13 - 2/9/13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all, We had another great series of dives in one of our favorite dive destinations. Repeated some of our favorites but also dove some we have never done before. Went into the park and dove Playa Funchi. It was a very nice dive. In my opinion the rest of the dives in the park are really an advanced dive from the entry / exit perspective. The first few you come to on the trail looked too dicey for me. I'm sure the dive itself would be very similar to most Bonaire dives but getting in and out without damage is the trick.

We cooked in for breakfast and lunch. Cooked dinner in maybe 4 times. Hit a few of our favorite places; Mi Banana, It rains Fishes, and BobbyJans. You must hit the Bar-B-Que on friday nights at Buddy Dive. Its a very nice and delicious meal.

Our accomodations, We stayed at Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments, unit 12. I know there are some folks that rate this group of apartments highly. In fact I based my decision on that very thing. I must say, we were VERY disappointed with the overall management of the unit. Poor housekeeping. They came in once a day, put in some clean towels, made your bed, walked a mop thru the kitchen / living area and that was it. My shower was never touched the entire time I was there. There was a small white tablet, maybe asprin, lodged in the shower basin corner. It was there when I arrived and there when I left. We discovered the microwave was non-functional the first day. It was removed but never replaced. We were told the replacement unit was defective and they were waiting for a part?????? They failed to mention the exotic bird farm directly next door. A private home has a backyard with maybe 60 birds in cages. The noise was deafening during the day. I mean really loud, angry birds. And the smell was lovely.

I cannot nor would not recommend this place to anyone. We were paying $175 per night, Hi Season, and frankly I expect more for my money. I will never stay there again. Beware of Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments.

Other than the substandard apartment Bonaire was as usual a great place to hang out and dive.

My two cents, SeaFlea.

Did they have units that would've gotten you away from the noise of the birds? And did the birds create any racket at night?

The cleaning part I could maybe deal with. That microwave situation certainly drops the ratings/appeal though. But since you say you cooked in how much of an inconvenience was it?

JoeSpirit, we were in the unit closest to the bird farm. the other units are more shielded from the noise but they can be heard quite a distance off. people walking by on the ocean front would look and stare at the noise, wondering what it might be. Thank goodness they sleep quietly at night. We wouldn't have been able to take it otherwise. Without a microwave it was a real inconvience. you had a small 4 burner gas stove (with a propane bottle under the stove, like a grill gas bottle, it ran out and we were out of cooking for a day while they found some) and a toaster oven. We managed to get ourselves fed but how hard is it to get a $60.00 microwave and plug it in????? I think it wasn't a big deal to the management.

I can't account for a lengthy list of accommodations, buuuut it has historically been my understanding that microwaves aren't a ubiquitous feature in Bonaire resort rooms.

I was intrigued by the fact you've been to Bonaire before, so you're judging with prior experience in mind. Where else have you stayed? (I've stayed at Dive Hut, Buddy Dive and (a few years back) Eden Beach Resort - which has since had some renovations - and I liked all 3, for different reasons).

Richard.

drrich2, over the years we have stayed at the Carribean Court, Belmar Apartments, a private home in Sable Palms and the Den Lamen. I think all of these places had a full compliment of kitchen appliances, and everything worked. I think what we are dealing with concerning Bonaire O. A. is a management staff with limited resources. I think they run on a shoe-string budget. As I said before, if you charge premium prices for your apartment, you should deliver premium service. In our case, we'll spend our dollars somewhere else.

Good Dives, SeaFlea.

I agree with SeaFlea, the amenities in the room should work. There is no excuse for not having a working microwave or stove. I've stayed at Buddy Dive and Divi multiple times and although neither is perfect, if something was broken, they repaired or replaced quickly. Why put up with birds and bad service when there are so many good places to stay on the island at more or less the same price point.

Richard
I would say from my experience a microwave is a top priority for us on Bonaire. Easy way to reheat leftovers. We have plenty of them.
Mostly stay at the Black Durgon but have stayed at Buddys' , Plaza and Blachi Koko. Admit that all except the black durgon have fine facilities. Black Durgon is shared but everything did work including the microwave. Would not stay if microwave didn't. AS mentioned there is/are a lot of choice especially at that price point.

The BOA internet listing clearly offers a "fully equipped kitchen, with microwave, blender, toaster." Thus a working microwave should be provided, whether you use it or not.

Definitely should be provided if advertised! I, too, am a microwave fan! Love them.

I wasn't trying to argue anybody's viewpoint, just understand it a little better. I don't recall Buddy Dive or Eden Beach having microwaves in the rooms I stayed in, though E.B. was farther back in time.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom