Trip Report Trip report: Blue Planet Divers op at West Bay, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scorman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Second trip to Roatan West Bay after being away for three years. Stayed at Paradise Beach Hotel (again) for 12 nights, which has gone upscale with the addition of a brand new pool and bar/grill, but still the best bargain for inexpensive modern accommodations w/buffet breakfast incl. Typical for West Bay, just roam the beach in the evening and see what daily specials each of the restaurants is offering ...we frequented Bananarama and Beachers most often. Snorkeling off the beach is still terrific, although this year we didn't see any turtles ...there are hundreds of acres of reef not more than a stones throw away from the hotels.

Previous dive op at Paradise was TGI, who was quite good for concierge service from their dock, but a bit lacking on DM expertise, attentiveness and dive planning, large boats and short trips.

A new operation at Paradise has been established by Tom of Blue Planet Divers , also with concierge service but loading from the beach. After 200 tanks under our belt, I can honestly say we have never seen a better dive op. Only a year+ old, new 24ft boat w/24 tank cap, new Mares equip ..limits trips to 8 divers, but we typically had only 3 or 4 down (May is low season and best deals, but best weather). Englishman James very experienced DM, humorous, and super knowledgeable of sealife and sites, but his dive plan was creative and allowed 16 tanks at 60minutes each ....even with 110feet at Hole-in-the wall ! Their philosophy is that good divers shouldn't be punished for poor performers. Damian was other prime DM and was also quite good and attentive to details. The boat captain/one man crew was Melvin who was exceptional at checking out every detail and maintaining the boat ...don't know how Tom is going to find another Melvin for his new 34 foot boat being delivered in June. There is practically no drift on any dive with a few minor exceptions.

Had two days of weather related occurrences that were amusing. The surf was calm on the way out and when we went down, but 3 foot waves when surfacing 1 hour later, to the degree that waves hit the beach so hard, that they couldn't land the boat at the mooring. For those not aware of Roatan, the prevailing winds are from the east and the mountains at the island center are 800 feet high and West Bay is at the southern end and faces...well ... west! For over a week the windguru reported 20mph wind from the east, so we were calm ( but far from it for CCV!), but if the wind swirls around, then the surf kicks up. Fortunately, Tom also has a dock on the southwest side at Flower Bay, so he scoots over the mountain in his truck to pick up stranded passengers. Sometimes he'll launch from Flower Bay the next morning to dive the western side. Last two days were dead calm all over, so we dove both sides and the point. Several trips also went past Anthony's Key (saw the dolphins), since the small boat with 200hp just zips over there. Tom claims that you never have to dive the same site ..he probably has easy access to 35, with most on the west side. If you want to view exceptional local photos of marine life, Tom is hosting author/photographer Mickey Charteris next week who publishes a really great reference "Caribbean Reef Life: Of the Bay Islands, Honduras" (available in pdf online for nominal charge), but his website has monthly updated photos in high res : October to December, 2016

note: Tom has "packages" on his website that includes hotel bookings incl taxes at discount compared to the hotel website..so you'll get a better deal when going directly through him as a package and there is an option to customize for your schedule. Blue Planet Divers

We will be back next year same time, but just to give an unsolicited remark from a first time Roatan fellow diver who just completed his 700th tank .." I've been to Cozumel over 35 times and all over the Caribbean and my favorites are Mexico, but I have never seen a reef like this and my wife (who only snorkels) wants to return in a few months!"

We used Blue Planet Divers in Feb. During our first dive I was at somewhere around 60 feet when I heard a pop followed by rigorous bubbles erupting from my first stage. Fortunately, James was right there. Everything went fine, we were even able to complete our safety stop. During the surface interval we went back to the shop where he repaired my gear. We had wonderful dives since then. James and Russel were out guides and I cannot sing enough praise over this dive op. Great crew above and below the water. They will definitely get my repeat business.

Nice report, glad you enjoyed your time on my island:nyah:. Next time your here let me know and we can meet up for a drink:drunks:

I stay at CCV because I love the shore diving, but you sure miss a lot of the island experience. I want to stay on the west end next trip and go to Utila Cocoview wall is hard to beat!

Back
Top Bottom