Trip report CCV 9-16 jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, must have been the same type of weather. We didn't see any thermometer, but I don't think our temperatures were that low. Maybe 65-70 as lowest. I slept with two blankets (and I even had my husband, lol).

All of us in our group had full wetsuits (I had a 5 mm) and some had a hood and vest also, so I just think it's hard to prepare yourself so much more. It was just one of those weeks. Luckily for the more dedicated divers, our boats were going out. I didn't hear about any cancellations. I just know that many of the drop off dives didn't happen, because nobody was interested.

When we were there it rained but we never had wind or rough seas, thank goodness.

yeah, the drop-off dives were affected the first couple of days with us too. Our DM and boat capt actually offered to take us to a second reef the first day as they knew the drop-off vis would be bad. That was cool. Another day it was raining as we pulled up to the drop-off spot and all the other divers said "nope" but me and hubby. We jumped in and the water was 10' vis at best and lime green. Ewwwww. But about 20' down it cleared up completely and it was a really nice dive! We couldn't wait to get back to the Clubhouse that night and tell everyone that they should have joined us. LOL

robin:D

Maggy

Sorry to hear that you got sick. I'm not sure it was the lobster though that did it. My wife and I were at CCV the same time as you and it didn't make us sick.
I agree that the weather could have been a lot better, but those are the breaks. On the plus side the seas were quite calm for much of the week and the visibility out on the dive sites and walls was not that bad IMHO. We estimate that it was about 50 feet + in most locations.
The water temp was about 79-81 degrees and we were perfectly warm when in the water. It was a bit chilly during surface intervals but not all that bad.
We got in 20 dives apiece during our week at CCV and enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks for posting your trip report, and its good to hear that at least part of your vacation was good. Glad to hear you're feeling better now.

Sorry for your wet and sick trip to such a great place. As far as the sickness, it is hard to say what caused it but I doubt it would be the lobster, the majority of the people staying at the resort would have eaten lobster that night and with only a few getting sick would make me think of other causes. Could it been something like the lettuce? tomatoes? both which could have been grown in bad water. Did it just effect only people from your group? Was something purchased and consumed within your group? What about other places you may heve eaten? Most food illnesses do not happen that quickly. Did your group go to dinner? Did you eat somewhere on your dolphin trip? There are so many factors that come into play when discussing food illness. Unfortunately you will probably never know. You need to ask many questions, look into all of the answers and then you still may never know!

Maggy, thank you for the trip report. I'm hoping to be in roatan at the end of
february. It seems like they do less trips per day at CCV with more time for other
activities or just relaxing. Sorry you had the rainy weather but seems you got in
a few good dives anyway.

Sorry for your wet and sick trip to such a great place. As far as the sickness, it is hard to say what caused it but I doubt it would be the lobster, the majority of the people staying at the resort would have eaten lobster that night and with only a few getting sick would make me think of other causes. Could it been something like the lettuce? tomatoes? both which could have been grown in bad water. Did it just effect only people from your group? Was something purchased and consumed within your group? What about other places you may heve eaten? Most food illnesses do not happen that quickly. Did your group go to dinner? Did you eat somewhere on your dolphin trip? There are so many factors that come into play when discussing food illness. Unfortunately you will probably never know. You need to ask many questions, look into all of the answers and then you still may never know!
Well, no - she probly doesn't have all of the answers, but I suspect that the 7 people in her group compared experiences well enough to narrow it down without our second guessing. Food poisoning can indeed come on quickly, and even tho "majority of the people staying at the resort would have eaten lobster that night and with only a few getting sick," that could have happened because only a few lobsters had been left out too long, prepared insufficiently, water. They aren't all stored in the same tank then cooked in the same pot at the same time, etc. Yeah, well - it could have been some other dish, and I do avoid fresh salads traveling, so it could have been the lobster, or other foods, or beverages or whatever.
See Food poisoning - MayoClinic.com including that it affects different people differently even: "Illness is not inevitable after you eat contaminated food. The effects depend on the contaminant, the degree of contamination, your age and your health."
and Disease Listing, Foodborne Illness, General Information | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases
and Food Poisoning Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment on eMedicineHealth.com.

I'm sure that it is not a common problem at CCV at all or it would be well known. The resort is not my choice when I go, but it is popular with many with a good reputation. Such can happen anywhere, as the CDC says in the above linked article: "...76 million cases of foodborne disease occur each year in the United States..."

Still, sad that it happened to Maggy and her friends. I can see why she wanted to get back to the US ASAP, and I probly would have done the same escape she did, then not bothered to find a doc in Atlanta either if I felt some better by then.

Maggy, thank you for the trip report. I'm hoping to be in roatan at the end of february. It seems like they do less trips per day at CCV with more time for other activities or just relaxing. Sorry you had the rainy weather but seems you got in a few good dives anyway.
I've never dived with them and they do it a little differently than the resort I use, but their sites quotes: "2 boat dive trips daily including 1 tank at selected site and optional drop-off wall dive (up to 4 boat tanks daily)" plus unlimited shore diving. I was confused on that at first but think that means that they do 2 trips/day, 1 tank dived at the selected site, then and on return approach you can drop off before the boat docks to dive their front wall on the way in.

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't blame CCV for what happened. It can happen anywhere anytime. I still think it was the lobster but we'll never found out and honestly I don't care either. It was people outside our group getting sick as well. It was at least two others that I know of that talked to me. And no, we didn't go any place else to eat and we didn't act like a group in that matter. We just traveled together.

CCV do two boat dives a day. One in the morning with an optional drop off dive and one boat trip in the afternoon, with an optional drop off dive. Most of us would have preferred a two tank boat dive in the morning, but this is the way they do it. The last day (Friday) they did just that after some people wanted to see where the earthquake had destroyed the wall.

I know many people still did 20 dives that week (like you Tommed and also many in our group) and didn't think it was too bad. This is just the way I experienced it and I can only speak for myself. The water temperatures were fine (79-81F) and the sea was not too ruff (only on Friday there were white caps and that does not bother me). I estimated the visibility on Wednesday to about 30 ft and all the others said that was the worst visbility all week (well, lucky me jumping in then:D). On Friday I think it was about 50 ft which was OK. I think it might have felt darker also, when it was overcast. Dolphin dive was also OK as we were on sand and it feels lighter then.

I don't dive in Sweden because I like clear water. The cold wouldn't bother me too much, it's my claustrophobic side that doesn't like the murky water. I have for that reason never tried to night dive yet. I love all the fishes and would love to see what's out there at night, but I have to wait with that until I feel more comfortable. I love water and have almost no other issues with diving. So, it was an active choice by me not to dive more (and one day of migraines too unfortunately). If I had dove even though I didn't want to, I might have been too scared to continue to dive in the future and THAT I will not allow to happen! I thought I would hit at least 50 dives after this week, but maybe I will in April (going to St John and Virgin Gorda).

Here is a picture my husband took while snorkeling outside Cocoview:
IMG_0143.jpg

Maggy,
First, very pretty pictures, you have me missing Roatan. Once October comes, the rain isnt far behind. We typically go early Oct. and only get minimal rain.

The boat trips are just as described, 1 reef and 1 drop, however depending on the groups and schedules they are somewhat flexible.

This might not have been the best week in my life, but it's still luxury problems if you compare to what some people have to deal with. I will remember the good parts and move on. Might not go back to Roatan. Husband might not go with me on another dive trip.

Great perspective.

We're about to go for our 4th trip to CCV this Spring. We were there once during rainy season and it can be tough. The South seems to get a lot of silt from the hills but also there's a lot of debris from the mainland and elsewhere (trash).

Other times of year, it's much better if not the best. Overall, the resort conditions you described, with very good if not great diving, plus accessibility to the US makes it a resort we like. Not one to be compared with the luxury of some locations or the best diving in the world, but a helluva good bargin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom