Trip Report Trip report: Grand Cayman and Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Doctorfish, we dove with Sunset Divers on the other end of GC but are going to be staying and diving at the East End in July. Are there any noticeable currents/surge there? Thanks!
Unless there is a tropical system nearby, you should be fine in July. East End Ops like Ocean Frontiers (HIGHLY recomended!) can head to North, East, or South sites to find the best conditions.

If the boat gets to a site and there is mild current, the DMs will usually ask the customers if they are OK with it. If the current is strong, they will move to another site.
I've seen a few exceptions to this when on a boat with a limited number of very experienced divers when the DM has opted for a drift dive. Don't know if this was totally legit but it sure was fun going in at Orange Canyon and ending up at Northwest Point.

Surge obviously varies with depth and wave action. Ocean Frontiers tends to go out in rougher weather than what one sees on the west side so there can be some surge in the shallows. No big deal. OF is right near the East tip of the island so they can usually find some shelter.

When we did a shore dive at Sunset House we were really, really new divers and weren't thinking about current ... and there was a current going south to north. We didn't realize it until the long surface swim back! It probably wasn't much of a current - but now we're smart(er) and wouldn't go out WITH the current anyway!

I thought I had heard that the East End had more current. Glad to hear it's not a big deal. One of the things I loved about GC was the visibility and easy diving.

Thanks!

There is no real shore diving East End. If you are on a dive boat and there is some current, the DM will take the group into the current on the way out so what you described does not happen.

@Doctorfish, we dove with Sunset Divers on the other end of GC but are going to be staying and diving at the East End in July. Are there any noticeable currents/surge there? Thanks!

We didn't have any current at all on any of our dives on the east end. At one site the OF captain saw that current was running and moved to a different site where there was none.

We didn't have any current at all on any of our dives on the east end. At one site the OF captain saw that current was running and moved to a different site where there was none.
When there is a bit of current it would be wonderful if the captain could run it as a drift dive. Divetech did this one of our dives with them on the west end. Actually wasn’t much of a current but it was still nice not to do a swim back. I admit I am lazy and love drift diving.

When there is a bit of current it would be wonderful if the captain could run it as a drift dive. Divetech did this one of our dives with them on the west end. Actually wasn’t much of a current but it was still nice not to do a swim back. I admit I am lazy and love drift diving.

I'll be in Cozumel next week. I feel you. :)

There is more current on the east side of Cayman just as there is on most Caribbean islands as it is the windward side of the island. In fact look at the Atlantic side vs Gulf side of Florida even as an example. This is much more prevalent during winter months. On the East Side you will not see any flat top boats for that reason. The west side is calmer so we can have them. All the ops including OF and Tortuga go to the same sites and when conditions are snotty will head south just like their counterparts on the west side do. When conditions hit a certain point they do not go out. This happens much more often on the EE but once again is mainly in winter. The leeward side of the island is more sheltered and has less impact from current.

It's not the best video ever made, but I put together a highlight reel of sorts if anyone is interested.

Trying again, this time with Vimeo. Hopefully it's better.

Hi..I loved your video. What photo program do you use for editting? ANd what kind of camera/lighting were you using? My husband and I will will be diving on GC this November!
Thanks, Cathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom