Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 5 was another sunny, calm day. We began the day diving at the furthest site away from the resort at the Boulders. We were in the speed boat, so it was only 10 minutes away. It was a topographically gorgeous site. Huge boulders and rocks the size of houses scattered about, a small swim through, some gorgonian fans. A number of overhangs and caverns. Visibility was around 45 feet. A slight current at depth. We dropped down to the last boulder which sat solitary in about 100 feet and did a loop around it before coming back up in a pleasant multi-level fashion. At 65 feet, the current disappeared and it was just a lovely dive. Dive 2 was really great. We started at Monkey Beach and slowly drifted all the way around Sabang Point and right into the bay. Visibility was 60-70 feet and very clear. The drift was very calm, to the point of being able to turn around at any time and hold your position to take pictures. The corals in the 20-40 foot range along this stretch of reef are some of the best, if not the best in Puerto Galera. So much vivid colors and life—truly one of my favorite locations.

During the lunch interval, we sat for the last time with Roni and Kerry. An Italian/Australian couple that we met and have been diving with since arrival. They had arrived 4 days prior to us and this was their departure day back to Australia for a few weeks before returning to Montenegro where they will go back to work for the next 6 months. Roni is the executive chef and Kerry the Cruise Director for a private yacht that charters guests throughout the Med and Adriatic Seas. We formed quite a bind in a short time- sharing all of our meals together and taking about our lives. Was sad to see them leave.

Dive 3 was a muck dive at the Boatyard. This would be a square profile dive. We dropped to the sand in 45 feet of water and remained between 45-50 feet the entire hour mucking around in the sand looking for all of the small stuff. We found 3 flamboyant cuttlefish, 1 large cuttlefish, a tiny, tiny seahorse, 2 cockatoo wasp fish (one large yellow one and one small black one) and so many other things I cannot even remember them all. It was a fun dive. This made me 3rd ever muck dive. First was at Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm Beach, FL, second was yesterday. It is an acquired taste, but is growing on me. For me, a nice occasional change of pace, but not what scratches my itch with regards to diving.

Dive 4 was a mellow affair almost in front of the resort at a site called Sabang Wrecks. A few small little wrecks in about 60 feet of water- we then multi-leveled up into the shallows. Highlight for me was finding a blue and yellow ribbon eel. My pics didn’t do justice, but it was way cool. Found some coral banded shrimp, various nudis… Another fun day of Coral Triangle diving.

upload_2019-4-9_6-39-24.png

Ribbon Eel

I had to google "muck diving" after your previous post on the topic. These macro shots are amazing.

Sounds like you made some good friends and shared some great experiences with Roni and Kerry and are having a wonderful time. I'm vicariously living this vacation with you so keep up the great work!

Awesome write-up @Trailboss123 as others have said. It motivated me to reach out bluewaterdivetravle.com. I've never used a travel agent before either so it's all new to me. Can't wait to read more of your trip.

Could you, or anyone that's traveled the area, comment on personal safety? Given the wack-job in charge in that country and a handful of terrorist attacks in recent years, I'm wondering how that has weighed on peoples minds regarding travel there.
I never felt unsafe there

Could you, or anyone that's traveled the area, comment on personal safety? Given the wack-job in charge in that country and a handful of terrorist attacks in recent years, I'm wondering how that has weighed on peoples minds regarding travel there.
The Philippines is great. I'm from Arizona but been living here for a few years now. I almost feel safer here than AZ. I think you'll enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom