Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upload_2019-4-10_15-54-4.png

You should try to go into Sabang and sample some of the restaurants offering great food at half the cost of what you've been paying to have a fair point of comparison. I think the only outside dinner you've had was at Atlantis, an upscale resort? Try Papa's, Mangosteen, Tina's, Tamarind, Hemingway's, etc.
Planning on trying Tamarind for sure. Only ate at Atlantis in the event that we end up there in 2021 with our friends, which I highly doubt at this point, and to give them a review- . We did stop in at Captain Gregg's to check their menu and offerings and prices, but didn't eat there. Quite an extensive menu- prices similar to El Galleon or a tad higher. Plenty of options in town, as you have mentioned. Given the tight time schedule between dives 2 and 3, eating lunch off property is not really an option, which only leaves dinners and we have been somewhat lazy and taken the path of least resistance after a full day of diving and stayed put and enjoyed the company at dinner with the folks we are meeting and diving with. As for the Atlantis bar and restaurant, they do offer some local microbrew options for those who care about such things:
upload_2019-4-10_16-4-44.png

Day 7 began with an overnight downpour of rain that started around 2am. Sea conditions were windy all day but currents were negligible. A couple of new groups have arrived. One being a group of 8 from Canada and USA. A lot of people wanted to do the Alma Jane wreck, so that is what we did for the first dive. As a refresher, it is a purpose sunk wreck in front of El Galleon that sits in 95 feet of water. It is covered with sea life and can be briefly penetrated. It isn’t a big wreck and the depths are 78 to 95 feet, so not a lot of bottom time. There was a large school of Bat Fish hanging off of the bow—Very pretty sight. Visibility was good and our group had the wreck to ourselves the entire time. Visibility was a pretty clear 50-60 feet.

Dive 2 was back to my favorite local site- Sandidigan Wall. Should be called Nudibranch Wall. 90% of all of my nudibranch photos are from this dive site. Unfortunately, something has happened to my camera light battery and I didn’t bring a backup, so no more underwater photos coming from me on this trip it appears. Two people from the new group have Sea Life lights and batteries like me, but they didn’t bring backups either. Last time that will happen to me. Nevertheless, it was another great dive with sighting of various new nudibranch I haven’t seen yet- wish I had pictures to remember them by. Visibility on that side of the island has been plagued by algae bloom the entire time, so viz was a milky 20-30 feet.

Dive 3 was at a place called Eddie’s Point—just the other side of Monkey Beach. Visibility was 40 feet with a very mild current that brought us nearly to Sabang Point and the Bay. Beautiful lush corals.
Lunch was a Mongolian BBQ affair. Choose your own proteins and veggies and sauces and spices and have it wok fried up with rice and/or noodles. Good stuff and $7 US.

We are scheduled for a 2 tank Verde Island trip tomorrow, weather permitting—fingers crossed for that. Group of 10 divers on the speed boat.
Also, looking over my computer log, Water temps have been consistently 78-80 degrees for all dives. We saw 77 on one dive.

Love that eyeball. Got to watch this little guy puff out in front of me.

Nice flatworms

Does the dive op. have any underwater camera systems for rent? Does anyone else conveniently accessible? That could be good info.

Your trip report style this time is one I've seen done on a cruise forum, CruiseCritic.com, quite a bit, and they're popular - I think they're called 'live trip reports.'

If you're considering Tamarind there is another option. Steps and Garden has a small restaurant with virtually the same menu as Tamarind (it may even be a bit larger). It's smaller but a lot quieter, if that's something you prefer. I think the two operations are owned by the same people, or at least they have a working arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom