Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are the outlets in your room European standard or do they accept NA plugs as well ? Does the power go out quite often at your resort. It did at Steps and Garden but they have a standby generator.
European standard and the power has been excellent.

Visibility is what I would call 30 feet and milky.

That viz. sounds worse than I anticipated. Wonder what the norm. is and how often it’s like this? One day’s dives may not give the typical, so I look forward to your further reports in days to come.

That viz. sounds worse than I anticipated. Wonder what the norm. is and how often it’s like this? One day’s dives may not give the typical, so I look forward to your further reports in days to come.

I was in Anilao last weekend and can confirm, the visibility is down a bit. Our theory is that the water temps are still a little cold for March/April so the plankton bloom hasn't subsided yet. We expect the water to clear up over the next 3 or 4 weeks, but that doesn't help @Trailboss123 ....unless he can extend his trip??:wink::wink::D

Typical April viz can be beyond 75 ft to recognize shapes and outlines, 50 ft to recognize a specific diver, and 30 ft to see many fish clearly, including identifying Mark's (i.e. stripes, spots, colors).

But hey, it's still better than Puget Sound or Cali viz :wink:

I am living vicariously through you and really loving the details and the pictures, thanks!

Regarding power strips, you must NOT use 110v SURGE protector power strips on a 220v outlet. Obviously the surge protector mechanism will kick in and burn out, killing the power strip forever.

What you want/need is a power strip without ANY switch, light, button, or surge protection.

Like this one;

https://dollarempirellc.com/images/32708B.JPG

I got few from 99cent only store, for.... 99cents! ha ha

You will also need 220v round plug to US "straight" plug adapter, like this one;

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.ne...ound-tip-3668857220edfa5b834a9466bd18f0ac.jpg

I suggest you stay away from ones like below;

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1VgRvinqWBKNjSZFxq6ApLpXa0/US-to-EU-2-flat-pin-to.jpg_350x350.jpg

Most people do not know this but there are two standards to the "round" 220v plug, I think they're called Type C(thin) and Type F(thicker).

Type C 220v round plugs have thinner prongs and will plug into Type F outlets, but usually is loose and creates bad contact (sometimes sparks due to loose prong movement).

Type F 220v round plugs have thicker prongs and should be used where needed. In my experience in Asian countries.

Of all the places that I had stayed in Philippines. Type A plug ie same as USA is used albeit at 220V.

Some places in Philippines still use Type A (USA) @ 220v and some places use Type C/F.

I have also seen places with both Type A and Type C in the same room running @ 220v.

Of all the places that I had stayed in Philippines. Type A plug ie same as USA is used albeit at 220V.

Yeah, both are present, but Type A tends to be more common these days. To the others, please be aware that their electrical standards are NOT grounded. It is two legs of 110v to the outlet = 220v, or for 110v it is one Hot and one Common, not ground. So avoid wet hands + plugs!

Interestingly, the house I am living in (southern Metro Manila) was built in the mid 80's and is wired 220v Type C and 110v Type A, side by side in the same outlets. LOL

Damaged cable is quite common ie with exposed wire and I had been shocked on few occasions even with dried hand.
Check the condition of the cable before plug in the local electrical appliances.

I've dived with Asia Divers on three occasions but prefer Anilao as my main dive destination in that region.

@Trailboss123 pass on my regards to Ally (Alison), I think she's still there, and please do a night dive on the wreck of the Alma Jane, it's awesome :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom