Trip Report -- Placencia June 26th through July 19th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was at least my seventh or eighth trip to Belize, and once again it did not disappoint. My wife, Carol, and I spent five days in Placencia diving with Splash Dive Center. Then we drove down to Punta Gorda for three nights, the first at Garbutts Fishing Lodge, the second two at Belcampo. Then we headed for the Cayo and spent three nights at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel. My wife had to return to work earlier than I did, so I dropped her off at the airport in Belize City before returning to Placencia to dive my brains out until it was time to return home.

Since Carol hadn't seen southern Belize before, I took her all over the place, from Hopkins (she liked) to Dangriga (not so much) to Punta Gorda (she liked) to San Ignacio (she liked a lot). Although she says she's still adamant that she's not going to retire there with me, I think I may have put a chink in her armor, especially if I focus around the Cayo area. We clambered over a couple of Mayan ruins: Lubaantun, the supposed site of the Crystal Skull, cough cough, and Tikal, on a day trip from San Ignacio into Guatemala. We kayaked on the Rio Grande, and toured a working farm, a butterfly farm and the world famous Belize Spice Farm and Botanical Gardens. We ate at one of my favorite cafes, Colemans, in the Toledo District and discovered another favorite in San Ignacio, the Guava Limb. I drove the dirt Coastal Highway (45 miles?) after dropping off Carol and got more adventure than I bargained for when I ran into a serious downpour.

As for the diving, this was the year that the "rainy season" finally lived up to it's name. It wasn't so much the rain as the wind that kept us from diving a total of six days, two the first week, two in Punta Gorda and two more once I returned to Placencia. But I still managed to get in about 20 dives, and several of them were the most spectacular I've ever done. We watched a huge sea turtle chow down on a reef. It didn't just nibble, this turtle rocked the reef so hard that I thought for sure that a large barrel sponge next to the turtle would come crashing down. On another dive I saw four or five turtles and so many rays that I lost count. There were several dives where we saw at least one shark, one turtle and one ray, the "Grand Slam." I was bitten by a Remora (didn't hurt but was a definite surprise). Water temperature was consistently 84 degrees, so as usual I didn't bother with my 2mm shorty. Visibility was excellent. My final two diving days my guide, Marco, and I went Lion Fish hunting. It's trickier than you might think given that you can swim right up next to them, but I got my fair share. I'm not a fan of killing for the sake of killing, but with Lion Fish I'm willing to make an exception.

Before I comment on Splash, I want to give my usual disclaimer that over the years I've become very good friends with Patty and Ralph, the owner/operators. If I saw some breach of dive safety protocol or had some sort of problem with the staff, I would talk them about it first before I posted it here. But one of the reasons I always dive with Splash is that they provide consistently great service. The boats are well maintained. I bring my own gear, but the rental gear I see others using is always in good condition. The staff, many of whom came up through the Splash "Kids Club," are very professional and put a premium on customer service. There may be some dive operations out there that are just as good, but I can't imagine there are any that are better. You're well taken care of from beginning to end. I dived nitrox 32% every day.

On one of the non-diving days my last week, Marco and I drove up the Hummingbird Highway in search of "the spot." Believe it or not, there is a spot on the Hummingbird Highway where if you're driving downhill, you can stop, put the car in neutral and you'll roll back up over the top of the hill. Marco showed it to me last year but it was dark and I couldn't find it for Carol. This time we found it. Some really smart enterprising person--I deny any knowledge--marked "the spot" with a spot of red and yellow spray paint, easily obtainable in Dangriga from what I hear. So if you're headed towards coast with Belmopan at your back. look for this just after you crest a steep hill as you approach the Mile Post 29:

The spot marks "the spot."

IMG_4069.jpg

This is what you'll see in your review mirror:

IMG_4071.jpg

MP 29 is up ahead on the left.

IMG_4068.jpg

Pull your car up to the spot so that you can just see it in front of your hood. Put your car in neutral. Be sure to keep checking your review mirror. Because of the hills, you can see cars coming from a long ways away. Have fun!

Thnx for the informative post

I am trying to talk my wife into a trip to Belize @ Ramon's Village in Feb 2016. Your report makes it seem like an incredible diving spot! She is a bit concerned she'll be bored above water. Any insight to sell her is appreciated.

I haven't been to Ambergris Caye, but you may be able to tell from my above post that there's practically no end to the above water things you can do if you're based in Placencia. The village of Placencia is at the tip of the peninsula of Placencia, so all the activities of the mainland are just right up (the one and only) road. If it's your first time, I'd recommend using a guide, which Splash can arrange. That way you leave the driving to someone who knows his or her way around and you'll get lots of local knowledge and insight that you might otherwise miss. The big plus to AC is that the dive sites are closer. The big plus to Placencia is that everything else is closer and more easily accessible. I would guess that the diving itself is about the same, which is to say incredible in both spots.

Stuff to do within an hour of the village: Banana Farm Tour, Mayan Center Village and Museum, Cacao Farm Tour and one man band chocolate factory, Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary (trails, swim under waterfalls, go river tubing, birdwatching), and, if you're insane, zip lining.

And then there's the Hummingbird Highway...

IMG_4045.jpg

depends on your needs. I dont get diving from Placencia as it is 20 miles from the reef, maybe downing will elucidate. placencia is a great location for a base for inland activities though. people often split vacas and stay part on the mainland and part on a caye. AC is primarily a dive destination but does have a microbrew and an artisan chocolate shop along with street crafts and other shops.

Glovers Reef Atoll and South Water Caye are much closer to Placencia than AC. Also Placencia is the place for whale sharks.

depends on your needs. I dont get diving from Placencia as it is 20 miles from the reef, maybe downing will elucidate. placencia is a great location for a base for inland activities though. people often split vacas and stay part on the mainland and part on a caye. AC is primarily a dive destination but does have a microbrew and an artisan chocolate shop along with street crafts and other shops.

I don't know how far Placencia is from the reef but it's typically about a 45 to 60 minute boat ride depending on where you go.

I get that a lot of people think a short boat ride is better than a long one. Carol and I have spent a total of three weeks at Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort, where the dive sites are literally five minutes out and the SIs are spent back on the caye. But I don't see the boat rides out of Placencia as a deterrent to diving there for a number of reasons. I don't get to ride in a boat here at home so riding in one there is just part of the adventure. There's a ton to see on the way out and back as we pass a lot of cayes, each with its own character. The rides are a great time to get to know the staff and fellow divers, take a nap or just chill out with your iPod. Sometimes we see dolphins, always a crowd pleaser. And finally, Placencia is the perfect jumping off point to immerse yourself in all the other things Belize has to offer, which to me is huge since I always head inland for a week or so.

I'm not saying Placencia is better. It's a different experience and the one I prefer but it's not for everybody. I'm sure AC will continue to draw the bulk of the dive tourist trade, so much so that when people say "Belize" they almost always mean "Ambergris Caye" because that's all they know. Frankly, there is some advantage for the rest of us to have the tourist trade concentrated on AC as it keeps the lines shorter elsewhere, lol.

I really need to visit Splash. I met Patty and Ralph (finally!) at the Long Beach Scuba Show a few years ago. I hope to see them down there someday.

Placencia is such a beautiful area in its own right, with the beach that some complain of missing in other parts of Belize.

Yes, the boat rides are longer but the dive sites are fabulous.

I look forward to returning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom