TRIP REPORT - Wakatobi Dive Resort - September 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really enjoyed reading your report as much as looking at your photos.

One thing keeps me away from Wakatobi though (I mean apart from the insane resort price, there are alternatives for diving the area but never considered the Wakatobi option), I am always stunned in the photos by the absence of fish that shoul be surrounding the coral patches in Indonesian spots like Komodo, Raja Ampat, Nusa Penida, Bangka or Maluku. Is it only an impression I have or did you also notice this similarly?

100% agree, price is crazy high and only seen a few very fishy pics and no muck.
For this sort of cash I would personally far sooner do a live aboard in RA or Komodo.
But each to their own. And I'm sure comparing Waka to Komodo or RA is like comparing a Maserati to a Lambo to Ferrari.... all amazing cars but everyone will have their favourite.

Well, I suppose if I was at Wakatobi I could find something to complain about. I certainly would like a week or 2 to see for myself. Thanks

JudyG Ive been a fan of your reports going back to Fiji! Thanks again - I like most havent honestly considered Wakatobi due to high costs etc vs what one can see and photograph. Im curious though - did you see many sharks at all? And can I ask what lens you were using for your topside photos - I love those - particularly the photo of the beached humble boat and the luxury pelagian in background.

Great report. Love your writing.
I have to agree that I too have become "a bit of a muck hound"! :wink:
All the gorgeous coral, is ... well gorgoeus, but it can become a little same same. It's good to have a bit of a ballance.
Did you see any bigger palagics (other than the big baracuda)?

Thanks so much for the kind words. A few sharks were spotted (at a distance - I didn't manage to photograph any), several turtles, no large rays (manta, eagle). In my experience, other than Komodo and Manta Sandy in Raja Ampat, there seems to be a lack of any large marine animals in Indonesia. Sharks are definitely few and far between.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2013 at 03:12 PM ----------

100% agree, price is crazy high and only seen a few very fishy pics and no muck.
For this sort of cash I would personally far sooner do a live aboard in RA or Komodo.
But each to their own. And I'm sure comparing Waka to Komodo or RA is like comparing a Maserati to a Lambo to Ferrari.... all amazing cars but everyone will have their favourite.

Yes, to each his own. Wakatobi might be a better option than LA for couples or families where there are non-diving members. They do have a loyal following of repeat guests at Wakatobi, due in no small part I would think to the excellent service and management. For myself, I generally prefer live aboards, but this was a nice change.

J.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2013 at 03:17 PM ----------

JudyG Ive been a fan of your reports going back to Fiji! Thanks again - I like most havent honestly considered Wakatobi due to high costs etc vs what one can see and photograph. Im curious though - did you see many sharks at all? And can I ask what lens you were using for your topside photos - I love those - particularly the photo of the beached humble boat and the luxury pelagian in background.

Hi there, and thanks for the kind words. For anyone reading this who would like to see the Fiji report, you'll find it here.

I just answered another question above re sharks - only saw a few, at a distance, on this trip.

For the topside images, I shot a Nikon 18-200 mm DX lens.

J.

Your reports are always AMAZING!!! I think you need to become a travel writer!!!

Wonderful report!! Thanks for sharing.

Your reports are always AMAZING!!! I think you need to become a travel writer!!!

Hey, thanks Jake. I've been enjoying writing and photography for quite a long time now, and have produced a lot of trip reports/slideshows/photo galleries over the years, all on a non-professional basis. For the last couple of years, my stuff has begun to be published. I've been invited to write a couple of 'Ask the Expert' columns and had a few images published - both for Scuba Diving mag. Last year I contributed mostly to Sport Diver (digital mag and e.news - photo essays), and then a few months ago I was invited to be a regular monthly contributor to Scuba Diving - again, digital mag and e.news photo essays. My byline is Judy G - you can see the most recent instalment (all about Komodo) here.

I've always been happy to share info and images - so many other divers have done the same, and over the years their reports have been really helpful when planning trips. Just paying it forward...

J.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2013 at 11:38 AM ----------

Wonderful report!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words.

Fantastic trip report! Truly appreciate the time and effort to give us so much detail and information--and fabulous photos, too! I'm glad you didn't let the absence of Mr. G keep you from such a wonderful trip.

I know what you mean about muck, btw. I believe my ideal dive is one where I root around in the muck for a bit with the weird and bizarre critters, and then ending the dive on a patch of coral with all the pretty, pretty fish. Kind of like a nice dessert.

Back
Top Bottom