Trip to Cozumel in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Papa Hog's is superior to Dressel Cozumel. Dressel PDC does a somewhat better job.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I just received an e-mail back from the Iberostar Cozumel. They said the head of the pier was damaged but the whole pier was not lost. The portion of the pier that was not damaged is still being used and Dressel is operating their boats from the pier with no problems.

A dive buddy & myself were instrumental in building Living Underwater. It's very arguably the best dive op on the island. Oracio, long time DM for Aldora, is the on-site manager & does a splendid job with divers of all levels. Have tanks ranging from standard AL80s to Pressed Steel LP 120s (Helped get these guys through customs & carried them to the boat. They are a bear). Can get some bodacious bottom times out of those big ones. I have taken over the boat for a group of very experienced Coz divers the Thanksgiving period. Wouldn't think of going anywhere else. Plese tell Oracio that I said, "Hola," okay?

DWM has deteriorated over the past couple of years. Martin had another child, a son, and is getting older. I think he was losing the fire for the business. Several of the better DMs, including Dario, went elsewhere. Anyway, it was recently purchased by the Rios', a wealthy & quite pleasant couple who seem to want to restore it to its former luster. Looking forward to your report.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Like everything else, the answer depends on your preferences for $$ spend, afetr dive activities, etc.
When in Coz, I stayed at the Presidente Intercontinental. I thought it was a great place to stay and the dive op is exceptional. But, it's not in town and it's not cheap ( about $200 including diving, not including food )
There are cheaper places to stay and places with a better night life- being 50+YO, my idea of nightlife is a couple of drinks and sleep.
Enjoy!

I was considering Reef Club as the deal was even more amazing than at the Iberostar. I did'nt go for it because just about every review I read was negative. When people talk about food poisoning I listen!!

I was there last November, and food was great and plentiful.
Very clean resort, staff very service oriented.

Here's my trip report http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1692

Everyone we met in the resort (and we met lots of people, you know how divers like to chat :wink: ) was extremely satisfied with it.

I hope the owner has not changed or something like that... I was planning on going back there soon :)

I was horrified when I read the different reviews people gave about the Reef Club.
One man had to be hospitalized when a railing gave way and he fell.
I was a little sceptical about all the complaints but when I read the reviews on Iberostar and they were mostly good I thought I'm already taking a chance on the weather I don't want to chance poor hotel conditions.
I've seen the Iberostar before and know what I'm getting whereas with the Reef Club all I had to go on was the reviews which were'nt very kind.
If I had talked to you first then maybe I would have reconsidered and saved over $400.
I'm not that unhappy really since the Iberostar was an amazing deal $827. Canadian all inclusive. Reef Club was $500 something. I don't know how they do it for these prices?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom