Trip to Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkLover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning a first time trip to the Philippines this June. In my research I am targeting the PG area. My needs are the following:

1) Diving 3-5 times a day with Nitrox. This is a week of just diving, basically a live aboard on land. I love walls and reefs and I am just starting out on UW photography
2) Accommodations: Give me a simple hut, clean, quiet and safe. I would prefer not to stay at a big resort, looking for a postage stamp size place.
3) Transfers from Manila airport and return

When I put all of this into a mix I am drawn to Coco beach. I have been trying repeatedly to contact these folks with 3 different email client and still nothing.

Based on the above requirments can anyone suggest something else? Action divers perhaps?

Thanks, Shark

PG is a very good choice...

to answer your needs:

1) PG is the place! 3-5 times a day, dives (literally) at your doorstep, walls, drifts, reefs, more u/w photo subjects than you can shake a stick at

2) i would suggest deep blue sea in... got to stay there a night... simple, clean, quiet, safe... it's definitely not the ritz but if you'd rather spend money on diving and food (lots of good food in PG) then it's a good option

3) deep blue sea is run by action divers! so you get the bonus of a good dive op PLUS they'll be able to handle transfers and all to/from manila...

hope this helps

Jag

Action or Asia divers would be my choice.
both are based on the "nice" side of the point.
I stayed in out of the blue villas,diving with action divers. Highly recommended.
Perhaps you should check the weather expected at that time of year. I think thats Typhoon season & PG is in the typhoon belt. I got caught last year in Nov with a week of bad weather.

2.) I would think Sunsplash Resort on Small La Laguna sounds perfect for you. It's everything you described. beach resorts in puerto galera, philippines - sunsplash resort call them for an actual price: +639185054617 ask for Rolf. I don't believe they do email.

3.) transport from Manila Airport to PG? How much stuff will you be travelling with? The resort can most likely arrange the transport. I also believe there is a regular van transporting PG-goers to Batangas then onto a bangka that leaves from Roxas Boulevard - Halthron took this once. A forum search about this may yield more info about it.

The thing about Coco Beach is that it is probably one of the more exclusive resorts in PG but it's secluded and away from everything else.

Search the old threads for more info. ex:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/156585-pg-accomodation-options.html

My family and I stayed at : Steps Garden Resort Puerto Galera Philippines

and we dived with : Scuba Diving in Puerto Galera, Philippines [South Sea Divers]

Steps and garden (as the photos show) is a very friendly collection of small 'cottages' and 1 detached bungalow. The restaurant and staff are all superb. We would definately stay there again.

South Sea Divers are a very small outfit (if I remember correctly right next to Atlantis) and are as such a lot more personal and accomodating. Sky, Paul and his team are really great and the diving was nearly half the price that we were quoted by some of the bigger resorts.

If you try them I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Have a great time

I'll second Sugars suggastion on Action Divers, and Deep Blue Sea Inn.
My wife and I stayed there 2005 $22/dive, $18/night. Nice, comfortable, not luxurious, but not a dump. Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers say Hi to Roscoe for me. My wife left her saftey sausage on her rental BCD, didn't tell me untill we returned to the States.
Try the Margarhita Pizza at the Deep Blue Sea Inn restraunt.:D:D:D

If you have to lock up your arrangements beforehand then Atlantis or Asia Divers are the most effective and efficient in doing so. If you want a little adventure then try the other places. PG is full of nice places. You sound like you are the type that wants everything set in stone before even packing your toothbrush (I am the same way). Atlantis or Asia Divers....my 2 centavos.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I now have plenty of traction.
As far as getting everything in stone, you must sense that I am an engineer, you would be correct.

Actually I dive on the second week of my Taiwan or China biz trips. I fly back home from Hong Kong to Guam from there I can fly anywhere. I have been diving to Yap (2), Guam, Bali and last month I was in Palau for the second time. $10 and 25K miles to wherever. The rest the company picks up. Yea, I know, i stepped in it.

I am leaning to wards Action divers/Deep Blue Sea, I have asked for more info. I liked Coco Beach divers unlimited diving with Nitrox, that woudl be awesome if I can get it here. One thing is clear is that it is a bit of a haul from the airport to PG. Based on my first experience in Manila, what is the best way to get there? Shared transport is fine, private looks too $$. Keep in mind that I will have a full set of dive gear in tow(60 cu in bag) Thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom